Thread: CWS 5.3 and 5.7 at once?

Unhappy CWS 5.3 and 5.7 at once?

Hello,

I've dug around on here for answers to the two following questions and haven't been able to find it readily, so it was time to register and just ask.

1.) I have one Fiery server that is not compatible with any version after CWS 5.3 (found this out when someone updated CWS and now it no longer works) and one Fiery server that currently runs through 5.7 but ends-up getting weird crashes etc. when 5.3 was still used with that printer.

If I install CWS 5.3 on one computer and have 5.7 on another one, will there be any issue?
    Can I have/see the queues for both printers even though I have 5.3 installed on one computer and 5.7 on another?? I realize that if we attempt to use certain features there could be issues if it was imposed etc. in 5.7 and then gets printed from CWS 5.3...

2.) I have also not been able to find any direct answer telling me I can't run a version of 5.3 and a version of 5.7 on the same computer.

Does anyone have any answers to these?

I really need to get both printers back-up and running through CWS.

Thank you!
    Last edited by JatMint; 10-08-2015 at 09:44 AM.

CWS is a client utility. If effect, it is a window into what is happening on the Fiery and allows you to monitor and manage jobs on the Fiery.

You should be able to have CWS 5.3 installed on one PC and CWS 5.7 installed on a different PC. Both could connect to the same Fiery. If the Fiery is a new model, it may not support CWS 5.3. Check the version of CWS that came with that Fiery. There is also a possibility of some limitations, for example, if you used Impose or JobMaster to modify a job in CWS 5.7, you may not be able to modify the job in CWS 5.3.

You cannot install both versions of CWS on the same PC.

Thank you Bob_b for the quick response.

I know impose/composed files may not be able to be changed between versions, however, would changes be able to be made in properties between versions? Even something so simple as changing light/dark, or tray?

I'm sorry if these are "beginner's questions" but have to learn somehow.

Thank you

StarDigital is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor StarDigital is on a distinguished path

That which 5.3 can handle 5.7 can as well. 5.7 adds a lot of interesting features but the core is the same, (as i see it) so most, if not all, actions should be repeatable on the 5.3. And remember the CWS is just a front end to the Fiery controller. It is the controller/server that makes the rip and sends it to the printer. This is updated independently from CWS (correct me if I'm wrong).

dan

StarDigital is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor StarDigital is on a distinguished path

One further thing, the servers have limited resources to which the Fiery needs to do its job. So if possible it is best to use a separate PC/Mac to access them. This will reduce the possibility of crashes, viruses, and OS problems in general. You can even setup the file storage of PDFs on your client computer instead of the Fiery server. Archival can be directed to locations off the server so you don't use up its resources. 3rd party applications are frowned on installing on the server but not on client computers. Opening PDFs and doing work with acrobat can use quite a bit of memory and CPU power so the Fiery server might not be able to handle it as well as modern PC/MACs. I could go on and on but you get the jist of what i'm saying.

respectfully,
    Dan