+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Distiller Setting for FieryOptimized.2

Inkworksfc is offline Fiery Certified Professional Inkworksfc is on a distinguished path

Default Distiller Setting for FieryOptimized.2

I remember a course or guide on creating pdfs optimized for fiery servers. The distiller setting was called FieryOptimized.2 and we used it quite often. After awhile of trying to hunt it down again I can't seem to find it. Are these distiller options still used?

Default RE: Distiller Setting for FieryOptimized.2

My suggestion is that you use the PDF/X-4 preset. This will be consistent for anyone making PDFs for your workflow. THe Fiery Optimized setting is really intended to make PDFs to be used with Fiery Impose but it won't get the transparency and other settings as consistent as PDF/X-4 will.

Also, this way you can have any customers create PDFs the same way even if they aren't in your shop where you have the Fiery Optimized setting.

Note that PDF/X-4 is best if you have a modern external Fiery with APPE on it. If you have an embedded Fiey or no APPE please advise and I'll give another suggestion.

One last point is I assume you are making PDF's by exporting from Adobe Creative Suite applications. This uses Distiller settings but is not the same as making PostScript files and actually distilling them into PDF with Distiller. I would always recommend exporting PDFs from CS apps (or just saving as PDF from Illustrator) rather than printing PostScript to disk and distilling.

~Lou

Inkworksfc is offline Fiery Certified Professional Inkworksfc is on a distinguished path

Great advice thank you! We do actually have some issues with transparency and yes we don't go through distiller but use the settings when we export/save the pdfs and all for internal use.

We are running into some issues with specific customer supplied pdf's. They embed the color profile instead of allowing our system to determine it causing some confusion. I was going to have the fieryoptimized.2 distiller setting available for them to download and install so there were not discrepancies. We use the Fiery Spot On so having a pdf that allows us to match pantones, create substitute colors and spot colors is my main concern.

I know there is software that streamlines this but only a few customers run into this issue. It would be easier to send them to a walk through or give them an informational sheet showing them the process for exporting a perfect pdf for the fiery.

Will the standard PDF/X-4 allow us to match colors, create substitute color, or keep spot colors a client submit?

4Color4U is offline Fiery Certified Professional 4Color4U is on a distinguished path

Default Best Distiller Settings for embedded Fiery and files with many, many layers

Looking for the best recommendation for Distiller Settings for embedded Fiery where the file comes out of In Design and has many layers - architectural renderings, 3d, etc for arena and stadium design. Files can be very large _ 500mb and up, up. Mostly a MAC only environment. latest OS and Creative Cloud.

adam1991 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful

Ummm....you don't use distiller settings. You don't distill anymore. You export out of InDesign.

The standard "high quality print" is a beautiful setting to start with.

borgwarrior is offline Senior Fiery Forum Contributor borgwarrior is on a distinguished path

Adam,

What happens if your software only permit .PS export? I even use one at the moment.

adam1991 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful

Going back to the original question:

"Looking for the best recommendation for Distiller Settings for embedded Fiery where the file comes out of In Design"

my answer stands.

+ Reply to Thread