Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bad Color on Used Xerox 550/EX560; Upgrade Software First?

Default Bad Color on Used Xerox 550/EX560; Upgrade Software First?

I have the following:
    Xerox 550
    Fiery EX560 with:
    Windows XP Pro 5.2, Build 3790, SP 2
    CWS 5.3.1.32

I bought it used and the color is waaaaaay off. Among other things it's too dark and too red. When I run the 550 built-in calibration charts the colors appear to be normal. A tech friend said, then, that the Fiery has to be the problem. I re-set CWS to factory defaults and it didn't help.

Before I try to solve the color problem, should I upgrade the EX560 software (both the OS and CWS)? I plan to keep the 550 for the foreseeable future. I do not have a service contact either from Xerox or anyone else.

Well...
    Good luck if you don't have Service Contract ...

First of all you must calibrate your media(s) either with Scanner or Spectrophotometer.
    Then you should get a better result if you select the correct output profile + new Calibration.
    But you have to know how to do it. It's not really difficult but you need some training or expertise ...

Regards.
    Eric

Any comments on the advisability of upgrading?

I don't have a problem paying someone to do this work. But Xerox won't fix just this problem. They want to go through the machine top to bottom. I used a third party tech to help me with the set-up process, but he knows hardware only and said he couldn't help with the Fiery. I am in Southern California. Any suggestions for third party tech who can handle this?

Also, note well, that I'm not seeking the last ounce of color accuracy matched to paper type and humidity -- although that would be fine.

EFI has many free and fee based training opportunities at http://efi.com/training-and-services...ery-elearning/

thistlegorm is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status

The upgrade path involves both a Hardware ( 2GB More Memory & New Graphics Card ( WIn 7 )) + a Bios Upgrade & Software to take you onto a Win 7 Image - this will get you onto V2.0 on the EX560.

There are some functionality upgrades you will get with V2.0 - but it is an expensive upgrade & probably wont fix your issue. The version you have is more than capable of printing a decent image.

Are you absolutely certain that the Print Engine is working to spec, i.e New Drums / Devs & has been setup correctly ?

Something you could try, with default settings, take a pdf & drag on CWS 5 & Print - assuming the EX560 is connected to the 560 Engine with a crossover cable or into your network - use Centreware Web import the same pdf onto the embedded controller & compare - do you see the magenta cast in either or both ?

Also what are using to calibrate ? is it an EX1000 or Colourcal ?
    Remember you are what you eat ! I'm a twix..

Quote Originally Posted by thistlegorm View Post
    The upgrade path involves both a Hardware ( 2GB More Memory & New Graphics Card ( WIn 7 )) + a Bios Upgrade & Software to take you onto a Win 7 Image - this will get you onto V2.0 on the EX560.

There are some functionality upgrades you will get with V2.0 - but it is an expensive upgrade & probably wont fix your issue. The version you have is more than capable of printing a decent image.
    Thanks. This is exactly the sort of information I was looking for. I can now set this course of action aside and work with what I have.

Are you absolutely certain that the Print Engine is working to spec, i.e New Drums / Devs & has been setup correctly ?.
    Drums were replaced when I got the machine.

One hardware tech (over the phone) took me through printing out the calibration charts built-in the 550 (presumably without going through the Fiery). He said that if these look fine, the problem is the Fiery and they do indeed look fine.

Another hardware tech (over the phone) told me that there was nothing related to the hardware that could lead to prints that are too magenta. He said it had to be the Fiery.

If I make a copy, it's not perfect, but it's acceptable and it's not excessively magenta.

Something you could try, with default settings, take a pdf & drag on CWS 5 & Print - assuming the EX560 is connected to the 560 Engine with a crossover cable or into your network - use Centreware Web import the same pdf onto the embedded controller & compare - do you see the magenta cast in either or both ?
    Although I am pretty much confused by what you wrote, what I think you are trying to accomplish is to print a file going through the Fiery and print the same file bypassing it. If so, I printed a JPG color chart through Windows viewer which went through the Fiery. It was too magenta. Then I put the file on a jump drive, plugged it directly into the front of the 550 and printed it. It came out fine.

Also what are using to calibrate ? is it an EX1000 or Colourcal ?
    I am not doing any calibration and I don't have any calibration hardware.

BTW, if I haven't already mentioned it, I set the Fiery to factory defaults early on.

thistlegorm is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status

OK - Sorry I couched it in "Geek Speak" - but you got the drift. Since you haven't got an ES1000 ( typo previously ) - have you got the Kodak / Tiffen Grayscale - normally comes in an small rectangular envelope - you can pick these up for $30 & this will allow you to "calibrate" you machine via Colourcal. It isn't ideal - if you can run to it & are prepared to spend some money ? try & find an ES1000 / 2000 or an I1 Pro to calibrate properly - I think all that your machine requires is a calibration & this should remove the magenta cast..

I wanted any print ready file & to use the Command Workstation drag & drop & Import the same file directly onto the Embedded controller - my reasoning is this also then excludes the Print Driver..
    Last edited by thistlegorm; 09-21-2015 at 12:01 PM.

thistlegorm:

This isn't to disagree with your solution. It's just something that came to mind that may or may not be relevant. The black and gray tints bars on the color chart that was printed from the jump drive came out black and gray with no magenta cast. On the file that when through the Fiery, not only were the colors more magenta, but so was the black and gray.

Thanks to all for helping me with this.

Thats fine - you have proved the Fiery is causing your issue & I am 99% certain a calibration will sort out your problem - the file you are printing is it an RGB or CMYK based document ? If it is CMYK go into the Job Properties -> Colour Tab & in the Basic Settings in the CMYK Simulation Profile Pulldown select Bypass Conversion, this should let the fiery just honour the colour in the file - you'll probably still get the magenta cast but it's worth a try..

When I start the calibration process there is a dropdown list of hardware devices from which to choose:
    EFI ES1000
    X-Rite DTP32
    X-Rite DTP32 Series 2
    X-Rite DTP41
    ColorCal

It turns out I have a X-Rite DTP20 (also branded as Xerox). It didn't come with this 550 but was left over from a previous machine. I have never used it (on the 550 or any other machine) but I assume it works. Can I use it? If so, how do I get it added to the dropdown list?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast