+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Xerox EX J75 - C drive filling up with random temp files

Default Xerox EX J75 - C drive filling up with random temp files

Hi All,

I've had a few issues recently with customers reporting that the C:/ Partition on their EX Print server is getting full, or close to full, and causing problems with system stability. Mostly this is the newer Windows 7 Servers with 50GB C:/

Usually the problem is that the operator has saved files on the desktop, installed additional non-Fiery applications (as they shouldn't) or that Hot Folders (saved on Desktop) are holding cached jobs too long.

This is typically easy to fix by avoiding all of the above.

Today i've seen a Xerox EX J75 with about 9.8GB of files all being stored in the Windows temp directory. They appear to be Fiery jobs or in some way related. The RIP is not running HotFolders, Archive or any other software i can see that would cause this.

Has anyone any ideas what is creating these files?

Also..... as a general request to Fiery at large.....
    Please consider a giving the C:\ Partition more room by default. Servers with a 1TB disk could easily have a 100GB C:\ drive. I know the point is the C:\ drive doesn't (shouldn't) need to be used. But in the experience of several of my customers they cannot manage easily with only 50GB. Having the default behaviour of HotFolders to create on desktop is certainly not helping and is usually the cause of the problem. But not in this case.

The files are located in C:/Users/Admin/AppData/Local/Temp all named something like:
    {00D212CB-812C-43C3-B2E1-425A801E70}

Thanks all.
    Last edited by rwb169; 09-22-2015 at 05:52 AM. Reason: Can't attach screen shot!!

Cool Did anyone answer you

Quote Originally Posted by rwb169 View Post
    Hi All,

I've had a few issues recently with customers reporting that the C:/ Partition on their EX Print server is getting full, or close to full, and causing problems with system stability. Mostly this is the newer Windows 7 Servers with 50GB C:/

Usually the problem is that the operator has saved files on the desktop, installed additional non-Fiery applications (as they shouldn't) or that Hot Folders (saved on Desktop) are holding cached jobs too long.

This is typically easy to fix by avoiding all of the above.

Today i've seen a Xerox EX J75 with about 9.8GB of files all being stored in the Windows temp directory. They appear to be Fiery jobs or in some way related. The RIP is not running HotFolders, Archive or any other software i can see that would cause this.

Has anyone any ideas what is creating these files?

Also..... as a general request to Fiery at large.....
    Please consider a giving the C:\ Partition more room by default. Servers with a 1TB disk could easily have a 100GB C:\ drive. I know the point is the C:\ drive doesn't (shouldn't) need to be used. But in the experience of several of my customers they cannot manage easily with only 50GB. Having the default behaviour of HotFolders to create on desktop is certainly not helping and is usually the cause of the problem. But not in this case.

The files are located in C:/Users/Admin/AppData/Local/Temp all named something like:
    {00D212CB-812C-43C3-B2E1-425A801E70}

Thanks all.
    Did anyone answer you on this?

Regards,

Brad

Hi rwb169,

Thanks for the excellent feature request of expanding the C partition, we are looking into including this on a future codebase.

If you still have problems with temp files, please find attached a quick note on how to delete them. cleantemp.pdf

We are also looking into ways to prevent this happening in the future.

G.

DragonLeaves is online now Fiery Forum Expert Contributor DragonLeaves is on a distinguished path

Unhappy 50 gigs... why so mean?

So in this day and age, once you patch up an EX server for both Fiery and Windows patches you basically have but a month or two before it fills up with temp files of all sorts. Meanwhile, there's a 1000 gigs sitting next to it that usually stays very empty in comparison.

Can we use something like partition magic?

On a side note, Fiery Ticker has a memory leak in 2 out 2 EX servers for the Xerox Versant 80 seen in new installs in the two months. This was resolved for the 2100 but its back. The only way is to uninstall it and then the windows out of memory warnings stops.

In FS200 codebase and up we have a 100GB C: partition.

If you are experiencing problems running out of room on your C: drive then I recommend creating a folder on E: called 'Temp' or similar.

Then change Command Workstation preferences for temp files and cache settings to this directory.

If you are using Hot Folders on the Fiery FACI, then we also recommend setting the Hot Folders preferences to save original files in the E: drive as well. Hot Folders can be set to 'clear original files after: 30 days', also recommended.

If you are installing 3rd party applications on the Fiery itself (which is not supported) then change their installation and temp directories to E: drive.

I made a little technote with screenshots showing the settings - attached.
    Fiery Hard Disk Partitions.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by DragonLeaves View Post
    On a side note, Fiery Ticker has a memory leak in 2 out 2 EX servers for the Xerox Versant 80 seen in new installs in the two months. This was resolved for the 2100 but its back. The only way is to uninstall it and then the windows out of memory warnings stops.
    Can you please raise this issue with your Xerox dealer? Problems like this need to be solved with a server patch. Any requests for patches, or patch releases need to be handled through Xerox themselves.

Thanks,
    G.

+ Reply to Thread