Thread: PDF does not render correctly with grayscale option

Hybrid View

Default PDF does not render correctly with grayscale option

Hello!

I have a Konica Minolta Bizhub C1100 with IC-308H v1.1 RIP and Fiery Command Workstation 5.7.0.29.
    If I process this PDF with grayscale mode it does not RIP properly:

grayscale:

color or any other RIP with APPE or CPSI that I have access to:

I tried all different settings that I could think of, the result stays the same.
    Overprint, detect black, ...

Can someone please test this PDF on their Fiery to see which result you get if you try to RIP this as grayscale only?

Kind regards and thanks in advance!
    Attached Images

StarDigital is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor StarDigital is on a distinguished path

worked fine for me on Xerox 1000i

Gracol, source gcr
    Text/graphic grey and black

There were a lot of filled paths in the graphic. I'd try first to optimize the PDF (Save as optimized), and then to try saving as a postscript (try each separately on CWS). this will take some of the rastering away from CWS alowing CWS to rip quicker (a bit).

Dan

adam1991 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful

Processes fine here both ways through the Postscript RIP. IC-308 1.1_SP1 with all current patches. Currently configured to C1060.

Thanks everyone so far.

If I choose this settings:

I get the wrong result. If I choose CMYK instead of Grayscale the result is correct. If I deactivate "Adobe PDF Print Engine Preferred", the result is correct.
    If I convert to postscript with Acrobat Pro, the result is correct.

adam1991 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful

Then don't run it through the APPE.

I know that EFI has turned that on by default, but I believe that to be a mistake. Either way, consider everything you have to be nothing more than a tool--and not all tools can be used in all situations.

It's perfectly OK to turn APPE off.

Quote Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
    Then don't run it through the APPE.

I know that EFI has turned that on by default, but I believe that to be a mistake. Either way, consider everything you have to be nothing more than a tool--and not all tools can be used in all situations.

It's perfectly OK to turn APPE off.
    You are right, but that depends on the job. There are others where the CPSI cannot handle complex transparencies and APPE works.

And I do expect Adobe's latest and greatest PDF RIP to "just work" with PDF files that other Adobe applications created. And I expect EFI/Konica Minolta to make it work, if there is a problem on their end. That seems to be the case, because other APPEs that I did test had no problem ripping that PDF correctly.