Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: restoring fiery image on different hardware

Default restoring fiery image on different hardware

Hi,

is it possible to restore a backup image to different hardware. let say, EX2100 to different EX2100?
    if it is possible, is it allowed (legal)?

thanks

Ranjitha is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor Ranjitha is on a distinguished path

Ex2100 to another Ex2100. Yes. It is Possible.
    Last edited by Ranjitha; 09-29-2015 at 04:07 AM.

OK thanks.
    some say that it can but it is not allowed because of microsoft licensing

Ranjitha is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor Ranjitha is on a distinguished path

Quote Originally Posted by revelino View Post
    Hi,

is it possible to restore a backup image to different hardware. let say, EX2100 to different EX2100?
    if it is possible, is it allowed (legal)?

thanks
    Hi,

For Windows servers it is not possible. It can only be restored to the same server.
    For Embedded server using Fiery Clone tool it is possible to restore image from one server to another server.

Thanks,
    Ranjitha.

thistlegorm is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status

Ranjitha - Sorry I disagree, moving a clone file from one device to another ( as long as it is the same device - i.e EXXX to whatever ) is completely possible.
    We experimented with this - with a view to shortening reload / upgrade times. Should say that this was sometime ago & I haven't done this on a Win 7 system - should have made that clear in previous post.

Is it legal ? from an MS Licensing standpoint of course it isn't - hence the individual COA on all new Fierys you are allowed to make a back of your existing OS for your own benefit - what you are not allowed to do is move it onto another platform .
    Last edited by thistlegorm; 09-23-2015 at 04:23 AM.
    Remember you are what you eat ! I'm a twix..

thistlegorm is correct. if i might clarify a little. It is not legal for any of the Microsoft products due to Microsoft License agreement and as such the official answer is no you are not allowed to clone from one Fiery to another. This tool is designed to provide you with the abilty to bring the Fiery from which the clone was created back up and running quickly.

Now can it be done, yes with some conditions:

If the servers are XP based and have exact features, such as FACI, GA Premium, etc, then yes. If one has GA premium or any other features that were installed using a dongle to write to the BIOS and the Server you are attempting to clone to does not have these same features, then no this can not be done.

If a Windows 7 based system, Clone tool not an option

Hope this helps

in my case, it is EX-P2100 to another EX-P 2100. by default it come with GAAPE for all unit. standard unit to another standard unit. I'm using fiery system restore. not clone tool
    can u show me this official answer or the EULA that state this ?

the idea is to create a completely full patch and configured image, then use this image on new unit installation. so we won't spend to much time for configuring and patching

adam1991 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful

Not allowed, and no capability to make it happen on your platform.

Let's not muddy up the waters with "well, on old platforms you could do this..." The new tools are different. It was never allowed under the license agreements on the old systems, but the tools didn't enforce that. The new tools do enforce that.

So, not allowed is now enforced with technically not able to do it using EFI-supplied tools.

Whatever you do with your own tools is your own business, and of course is completely unsupported by EFI or an EFI service organization. Further, because it's not allowed under the license agreements, I'm 100% sure that discussion of how to do it using your own tools is not permitted on this forum.

since the beginning I'm referring to fiery system restore. never mention about clone tool.
    the fact is, I already try and it can. so I'm questioning about legality. because in many windows forum, it seem allowed to clone and restore windows 7. that's why I ask to show me this EULA that state it is not allowed. but, if this is special agreement between EFI and MS, it will be a different story.

I also don't mention any other tool beside fiery supported tool.

adam1991 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful

Be aware that the Windows that ships with Fiery products is Windows FES--that is, Windows For Embedded Systems.

As such, its licensing terms (among other things) have nothing at all in common with any other form of non-FES Windows.

Your software install kit came with all the licensing terms.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast