Thread: Strange behavior with compose

Default Strange behavior with compose

We have the basic impose/compose on our FS100Pro.

Sent a 40 page booklet from acrobat. Then imposed the sheets into a booklet and added cover in compose. I am experiencing very odd behavior with ONE page out of the 40. It prints as if I had used the "convert to grayscale" button: no blacks, and the grays are about 10%. Not usable.

When I print the sheets directly from the RIP as 8-1/2" x 11", they print perfectly, ie, with great black. It is only after going through impose/compose that the page goes bad. I have tried checking "print as CMYK" to the media tab without luck. If I spec it to grayscale this way, the offending page prints with a good black, but I cannot do this because the reverse side of the sheet is in color.

I realize this sounds like a pdf problem. Except that it prints perfectly, as long as I don't impose it. I guess my question is: Has anyone else experienced odd behavior like this and what was your solution?

Thanks!

adam1991 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful

For starters, let's ignore the cover and focus on the 40 page book by itself. If you impose that onto 20 11x17 surfaces for saddle stitching, how are you saving that? As a .dbp, or as a PDF on the server?

My guess is that .dbp will print all the surfaces correctly, no?

Ah, yes. Sorry for the lateness -- didn't realize there was a reply yesterday.

Yes, I am saving this as a .dbp. I am creating the dbp from a letter size pdf file. And if by "surfaces" you mean the correct pages print upon the correct paper surface, then the answer is YES. (saving it as an -imp.pdf yields quite different results for surfaces, but that's a post for another time!)

Quote Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
    For starters, let's ignore the cover and focus on the 40 page book by itself. If you impose that onto 20 11x17 surfaces for saddle stitching, how are you saving that? As a .dbp, or as a PDF on the server?

My guess is that .dbp will print all the surfaces correctly, no?

adam1991 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful

So are you saying this process gives you correct or incorrect color on the problem page?

Incorrect color on one problem page.

Quote Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
    So are you saying this process gives you correct or incorrect color on the problem page?

Hello printnut:

Would you be able to share the problem file with us so that we may look into what is causing this result? Please private message me with the file.

Thanks
    Mark

Yes, I would be happy to share! Just sent a pm. Thanks, Robin