+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fiery API Frequently Asked Questions

Yusuke_K is offline Senior Fiery Forum Contributor Yusuke_K is on a distinguished path

Default Fiery API Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What is Fiery API?

A: Fiery API is a RESTful API that accesses the application interface of the Fiery Server. Fiery API helps you develop apps and tools for your specific needs on desktop and mobile platforms, including Windows, Mac OS, iOS, and Android.

Q: What can I do with Fiery API?

A: You can use Fiery API to establish a secure bidirectional connection between your application and your Fiery Server. With this connection, you can submit jobs, perform job actions, retrieve job information, including preview images, and retrieve Fiery Server status information.

Q: Which programming languages can I use with Fiery API?

A: You can use any language that allows you to make an HTTPS request. Examples: C#, Ruby, JavaScript, and Java.

Q: Which Fiery Servers support Fiery API?

A: Fiery Servers with FS100/100 Pro and later software support Fiery API. For a Windows-based Fiery Server with earlier software, you can install Fiery API with Fiery Integration Manager in the latest Fiery Extended Applications Package. For more information, please visit our installation page here.

Q: How do I find my Fiery Server software version?

A: In Command WorkStation, go to Device Center and click the General tab. The Fiery System version is displayed under General Info.

Q: How do I check if Fiery API is installed on my Fiery Server? How do I find the Fiery API version?

A: In a web browser, enter this URL:

https://{yourservername}/live/api/v2/version/

If an error occurs, Fiery API is not installed. Otherwise, the Fiery API version number is displayed in the browser or returned in a file, depending on your browser settings.

Q: When I use HTTPS requests as you recommend, I get a warning in my browser that the certificate on Fiery Server is invalid. How can I get rid of this warning?

A: If the user ignores the warning, the HTTP session will not be secure. We recommend that you obtain and install a valid SSL certificate for the Fiery Server.

Q: Can I host my web application on the Fiery Server?

A: Yes.

Yusuke_K is offline Senior Fiery Forum Contributor Yusuke_K is on a distinguished path

Default More FAQs

Hello Fiery API developers!

Thank you for all of your feedback. Below we have added more FAQs based on your questions that are frequently asked by you. We'll continue adding more FAQs and we hope this helps your development with Fiery API.

Q: What's the benefit of using WebSocket with Fiery API?

A: You can use Fiery API to establish a secure bidirectional connection between your application and your Fiery Server. With this connection, you can submit jobs, perform job actions, and retrieve job information, including preview images. You can also retrieve job logs for accounting purposes. Additionally, you can use websockets to control what kind of events you want to receive from your Fiery Server, such as device status, job done printing, etc.

Q: Is Fiery API supported on my Fiery server?

A: Fiery API is currently supported on FS200, FS150, FS100, System 10 and System 9R2. However user needs to install Fiery Extended Application package v4.3 or above for Fiery API support if your system is FS100 or older. Install the latest Fiery Command WorkStation that includes the package or go here to install Fiery Software Manager.

Q: How long does the evaluation key last?

A: Currently, the evaluation key last 6 months after the key generation.

Q: What is the difference between evaluation and production key?

A: Evaluation key will expired in 6 months while production key does not. In addition to Fiery API production key, a License Activation Code (LACs) needs to be activated on the target Fiery server(s). Once issued your production key works for all of the LAC activated Fiery servers. We will provide the production key and the LACs once your production key request is approved.

Q: How to create a new job?

A: From the documentation, use POST /live/api/v2/jobs with multipart/form-data and the content of the file in key “file”. We are working on adding more sample codes to developer.efi.com for job submission/creation but in the meantime, please visit our Github page (https://github.com/fieryapi) to see job submission example in Java (https://github.com/fieryapi/java-samples)

Q: What attributes are available for the jobs when you submit/create jobs?

A: There is no fixed attribute set since it differs per Fiery product. Fiery API supports multiple Fiery system versions and different engines from multiple partners. Our recommendation is to check the PPD file for keys or use property scope API to get the available attributes.

• GET /live/api/v2/properties/scopes/fpcolorwise
    • GET /live/api/v2/properties/scopes/fpfinishing
    • GET /live/api/v2/properties/scopes/fpimage
    • GET /live/api/v2/properties/scopes/fpjobinfo
    • GET /live/api/v2/properties/scopes/fplayout
    • GET /live/api/v2/properties/scopes/fppapersource
    • GET /live/api/v2/properties/scopes/fpstamping
    • GET /live/api/v2/properties/scopes/fpvdp
    Each request will return an array of objects. Each object will contain the id (attribute key), value (default value), values (possible value or any value if this key does not exist), and constraints (a set of conditions to make the job valid).

Q: What values are available for each attribute? Do you have more detailed documentation?

A: Please use properties API (please see the previous FAQ entry) to get the available values, e.g. For duplex, use GET /live/api/v2/properties/EFDuplex and check for “values” key. Due to the fact that Fiery API needs to support multiple Fiery system platforms, versions and different engines from multiple partners in the field, it is hard for us to document fixed set of attributes that are generic to all of the products.

The best practice for job attributes and their values available for your Fiery servers right now will be to do trial and errors approach with Command WorkStation – basically, check job attributes before and after using Command WorkStation with Job Properties and compare what’s changed.*

Q: How to change attributes in a job?

A: From the documentation, use PUT /live/api/v2/jobs/job_id with JSON object or multipart/form-data. For JSON object, set content type to “application/json” with the request body below.
    {
    * "attributes": {
    * * "attribute_key_1": “attribute_value_1"
    * * …
    * }
    }

Q: How to get the ripped job id from a held job after ripped?

A: On the job, check for “children” and “parent” key. Note that the key is available in the next version of Fiery API unless we provide a custom API key that include them.

Q: What is the maximum number of mixed media entry?
    A: The maximum entry is 99 for all client software to work properly.

Q: How to get a list of input tray?

A: If it is the current input tray, use GET /live/api/v2/consumables. For all input trays, use GET /live/api/v2/properties/InputSlot.

Q: What is the limitation of job raster preview in Fiery API?

A: Currently, the job raster preview is a synchronous call so this will block all other request until this is completed. We recommend to make only 1 request at a time.

Q: What does an exit code 1008 mean when WebSocket is used?

A: Normally, this means the server decides to close the WebSocket connection. We used this to tell the client that it is not authorize to use WebSocket. This behavior will be changed for the next version Fiery API where the client will receive unauthorized HTTP status code (401) before the upgrade to WebSocket connection.

Q: What does server error HTTP status code (500) mean when using POST /live/api/v2/jobs?

A: Most likely, the issue is using an incorrect content type and body. For example, the request body is in multipart/form-data but content type is application/JSON.

Q: How to print jobs in grayscale?

A: If you would like to print color jobs in grayscale only, you should set: EFColorMode=Grayscale
    Last edited by Yusuke_K; 11-08-2016 at 05:23 PM.

+ Reply to Thread