Thread: Is it possible to customize Mac Fiery driver defaults?

Steve0 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor Steve0 is on a distinguished path

Default Is it possible to customize Mac Fiery driver defaults?

I have a workgroup -- all MacOS users, using different versions of OS X -- that want to print to Fiery with a minimum number of clicks to get output, from open Adobe and Microsoft applications. This is on a Konica IC-308 / C1060.

They only use two kinds of paper -- Hammermill 28# Bond in letter and tabloid sizes. Where we would typically define the trays with paper type "color specific," the driver defaults to "plain."

I've never heard of a way to customize driver defaults on the Mac; but if I were to set up a virtual printer with the desired properties and configure the client drivers to point to that queue, would the driver take on the properties of that virtual printer?

adam1991 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful

It's interesting that given where Macintosh came from, its printing infrastructure is one of the messiest, worst bits you can possibly imagine. Even after how many years? of Windows printing features leading as examples, Apple refuses to acknowledge that their printing mechanism stinks.

No, there's no way to set defaults in a Mac print driver.

Yes, virtual printers are your friends. Be sure to set them up with the settings you want, and hit the lock buttons.

Kevin Hayes is offline Senior Fiery Forum Contributor Kevin Hayes is on a distinguished path

Try this:

http://127.0.0.1:631/printers

this is like setting printing defaults in a windows system.

The driver going to plain as default is altered in the fiery system configure where you set the PS options.

Here you can say what paper type and weight is the default of the Fiery itself.

Steve0 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor Steve0 is on a distinguished path

Thanks guys!

I agree, Adam, the print subsystem in MacOS needs a lot of work.

Kevin, you're right: I forgot about setting the defaults under PS options in Configure. That's a lot cleaner than setting up a virtual printer. That's what I'm gonna do. Thanks!

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
    It's interesting that given where Macintosh came from, its printing infrastructure is one of the messiest, worst bits you can possibly imagine. Even after how many years? of Windows printing features leading as examples, Apple refuses to acknowledge that their printing mechanism stinks.

No, there's no way to set defaults in a Mac print driver.

Yes, virtual printers are your friends. Be sure to set them up with the settings you want, and hit the lock buttons.
    Hi Adam,

just wonder fiery driver have 2-way communication and not in sync with fiery server setting ?However window can sync with server setting.So we only try 127.0.0.1:631 and set the customize option to each MAC or setting up virtual print queue. is it possible to enhance by efi?

Regards
    iceman