Thread: Command Workstation on Fiery RIP hanging in import job window

Default Command Workstation on Fiery RIP hanging in import job window

Hi. I have a fiery EX-P 2100 attached to a versant 2100.
    It is running Command Workstation 5.7.0.29.

When I use the import job function from the file menu, the import job window opens but it hangs and won't respond and won't allow me to choose what folder I need to import the job from for about 20 or 30 seconds. It basically freezes the whole computer temporarily. Then it seems to refresh the import job window and it starts working normally, and I am then able to browse for files in the import window as normal. This happens almost every time I try to import a job so it's quite frustrating. Sometimes the hang continues indefinitely and I have to force quit command workstation and reboot.

We store our files for printing on a windows small business server. We also have a fiery EX 700 running an older version of command workstation and it imports jobs without any problems so the issue is specific to the EX-P 2100. Any help on how to fix this issue would be much appreciated! Thanks.
    Last edited by wop-norwood; 06-14-2015 at 10:43 PM.

StarDigital is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor StarDigital is on a distinguished path

It sounds to me like a possible network issue. Try moving the import folder location to see if that is it. also see if drag and drop works, if it does maybe it is a server preset you have that it is trying to load that import brings up but drag and drop doesn't.

Dan

Drag and drop didn't fix the issue, when I try to open the small business server in windows explorer on the EXP2100 it hangs in there as well. The EXP2100 is running windows 7. So it must be a problem with the fiery accessing our server. Is this heard of in any of the EX fierys? None of the other computers in our office have this issue, other windows 7 computers access the server normally.

Thanks for your help.

StarDigital is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor StarDigital is on a distinguished path

sounds like a network config issue from Fiery, sorry but that's not my area of expertise.

dan

adam1991 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful

Please keep in mind that when you are using Windows Explorer, it's just a Windows computer. There's nothing "Fiery" about how Windows Explorer is set up or behaves. This is some sort of networking issue--physical (ethernet/switch) or logical (sharing configuration on the server, or that IP address talking to the server).

If at all possible, half split the problem. Take one of your known working office computers, give it the same fixed IP address as your Fiery, and plug it in to the exact same network cable that the Fiery uses. Access your server. Are there problems?

Do you have someone who handles your networking and sharing and server configurations for your company? You need to involve that person.

I would be looking into the place where the import dialog in CWS shows the problem.

It sounds like this is from the Windows Fiery itself, that you are running CWS. If so, do you have any mapped drives present? You mentioned "We store our files for printing on a windows small business server" so I'm wondering if you've mapped a drive to that server.

If so, can you try deleting the drive mapping, and seeing if CWS shows the same issue?

G.