+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fiery WC7855-3653, Xerox 7845, Dual IP Setup

Default Fiery WC7855-3653, Xerox 7845, Dual IP Setup

I have a Xerox 7855 and it is attached to a Fiery WC7855-3653. My scenario is this:

I have the Xerox at IP Address '192.168.1.99'. The Fiery is at IP Address "192.168.1.98".

The Standard print driver finds the Xerox at .99 with no problem. The Fiery, however, does not print.

If I make a simple change and put the Xerox in DHCP mode, the fiery will print No problem and the Xerox will print using the assigned IP address. Although this is the behavior we want, it is not practical to change the IP address in the standard print driver every time the machine's ip address changes due to the DHCP setting.

A third scenario I tried is to set the copier in DHCP mode and have DHCP assign a specific IP address to the Xerox based on its MAC address. In this case the Fiery does NOT print as well.

I am trying to figure out if there is a reason the Fiery can only find the Xerox when the Xerox is is DHCP mode with no fixed assignment, or if there is a setting that needs to be updated somewhere that will allow the Fiery to print to the Xerox when the Xerox has a Static IP (whether the setting is in the Fiery itself, the print driver or the Xerox).

I am hoping this makes sense, if not please let me know.

Any help is appre3ciated.

thistlegorm is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status

Two Questions :

Do you have a need for two separate IP addresses ? why are you not connecting the Fiery to the 7855 via the supplied Crossover Cable ?

If you do require two IP separate IP's one for the Fiery & one for the 7855 Green Controller - there is a separate hub kit that might be required - which is listed in the Options:

http://www.office.xerox.com/latest/W78FS-01E.PDF
    • Ethernet Hub Kit (required for certain Xerox Extensible Interface Platform® applications)

There also an explanation about this in the EFI Install Guide - with the Hub option when the Fiery Boots & it will change the way the IP connects & you will see this on your start up page..
    Remember you are what you eat ! I'm a twix..

thank you for your reply.

We have a switch in place (apologies for not mentioning it) and the dual ip mode is necessary for a variety.

This was supplied by a third party and they have not been able to get it running. As a result I am trying to find out as much information as I can about the process. I do not have access to the install guide you mentioned. I did a search but cannot seem to locate it, or am not sure which one applies to what I am doing. Would you happen to have a link?

Thanks again for the quick response.

thistlegorm is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status

So with both Fiery & Device plugged in & both set to their respective IP address - .98 Fiery & .99 7855 if you now open a IE page & put in the Fiery IP address & hit return - do you see the Fiery embedded web page ? then try the Xerox 7855 IP address - do you see the Xerox Centreware page ?

That is correct. If I go to a web browser and put in the IP address of the Fiery I get the Fiery web page and if I put in the IP address of the Xerox I get the Xerox web page. I am also able to ping both.

With the notes above should I be able to have Static IP's at both the Fiery and Xerox, and work in Dual IP mode?

Any help is appreciated.

z1300 is offline Senior Fiery Forum Contributor z1300 is on a distinguished path

Not familiar with this model but can you drop a PDF file on the Fiery's webpage and print? Do you have CWS installed anywhere? Can you login and see if there are any errors on the Fiery?

In answer to your question - yes it should work in dual IP mode. In your OP you stated that you could print to the Green Controller on the 78xx ( .99 ) but not the Fiery ( .98 ) ? by getting you to plugin both devices & check both webpages - this proves that both are visible from the network & that the Fiery is up & running.

Next question would be is whether the Fiery & 78xx have "sync'd" - it can take a while for this to happen, but generally with the Fiery icon on the 78xx gui lit are you able to login with admin & Fiery.1 ? again on the Startup page that the device kicks out, on the top of the right hand column you should see Connection - Hub ( I think - been a long while, but anything other than Direct, which is what you would see with the Crossover cable connected to the 78xx & Fiery ).

Next point how are you printing to the Fiery ? Is your queue set to Raw ( Port 9100 ) Lpr ( 515 ) IPP ? if you create a new print queue using the Fiery Print Driver & an lpr queue set to print - does the resulting test page you send reach the Fiery ? If you don't have CWS 5 loaded on any PC ( as per previous poster ) then then logging into the Fiery icon on the device gui will show whether the Job has arrived on the Fiery ?

Another possibility is that the Jobs are reaching the Fiery but just aren't printing out ? in which case it might be that the default actions for the popular print protocols is defaulted to Held ? these can be changed in the Configure Tab on the Fiery Webpage - Network Protocols - RAW / LPR / IPP etc

Thanks again for the reply. I wanted to confirm the possibility first and foremost since the tech from the Copier Company after several hours of attempts has indicated it is not possible unless the Xerox is in DHCP mode. This did not add up to me but being unfamiliar with the Fiery I was not sure (I would have thought an IP address was an IP address regardless of how it gets on the Xerox).

I am able to login to the Fiery and the Printer independently and I see there is a message on the Fiery web panel that indicates I need to "Check the printer power and network cable". The tech indicates that this is not an issue when the Xerox is in DHCP mode (I have to confirm that now myself).

As for the print driver and setting, The driver is the EFI driver for the Workcentre 7800 (was installed and downloaded directly from the Fiery) and is setup to print to a WSD Port - should I change this?. This is setup as a shared printer on the server (I have been printing all tests directly from the server and CWS5 is not loaded on the server).

The direct printer driver is the standard Xerox driver set up as a standard TCP/IP printer set to the printer's IP address.

What specifically happens when I print a test page through the Fiery's print driver is that a job is created and when I view what's printing through the print queue I see the job listed without error. Several minutes later without intervention the job is no longer reflected in the queue (goes from 1 job to 0) but nothing prints out (most likely the connection issue above?). The Fiery does not indicate the job is to be held.

I have not been physically on site as of yet and have been assuming that the technician that was there has set everything up properly but am going today to see myself (switched the crossover cable with a straight through cable for example).

Thanks again for all of the insights.

Having read your post - several obstacles present themselves ?

My first guess is that your Present setup does not allow for the IOT ( 78xx ) & Fiery to sync.

Let's go back to basics - On your Print Server Create a New TCP/ IP Port pointing to .98.

Create a New Print Queue using the 78xx Fiery Driver ( Not WSD ) & configure the port for lpd & use print as the queue name.

On the 78xx use the supplied Crossover cable & connect the IOT Green Controller to the Fiery Scan Port. You might need to go onto the 78xx GUI & logon as admin & change the network controller to dhcp/ autonet & reboot - if this works correctly technically it should pick up 100.100.100.102 ?

If it does this is good - reboot the device - what we are looking for is the IOT & Fiery to sync - a simplistic view is for you to power off the device & the Fiery eventually does the same ? if this doesn't happen - then you have to manually power the Fiery device off, then switch on the 78xx - does the Fiery come on ? if it does - ( Green Light On the back ) if so great.

The 78xx is a connect key product ( Xerox Term ) & does take an age to power on & come ready - again, technically what should happen is on the IOT ( 78xx ) the Fiery & Printme icons will show Custom icon Loading & when the "sync" happens you should be able to use the Fiery icon to login with admin / Fiery.1 ?

With this setup you be able to print to the Fiery ?

There are several issues with using 1 network drop & a Hub ( switched or otherwise ) most corporate(s) would bar this..

Is it a question of utilising the Office Functionality of the 78xx via the Fiery that is the issue & why you need to use 2 drops ? I will say from experience the NAT that happens through 78xx & Fiery is very clever & generally works - let us know..
    Last edited by thistlegorm; 05-06-2015 at 05:38 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast