Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Bustled Fiery - Xerox Colour C60 Press - pre sale questions

adam1991 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful

And then they sold you the C60 in its office-based controller configuration.

I agree, the used copier sales mentality lives on.

The C60 with a properly outfitted, properly configured, and properly managed Fiery will create an image that will indeed floor you. But its paper handling flexiblity is not much better, if any, than the office-based unit--because the C60 is just another office-based unit that they've declared to be "light production" whatever that means.

And if it doesn't mean what you think production means, there's your disconnect.

You also need a bunch of training to take the most advantage possible of your system. A print engine alone, without a good RIP and without SOLID training on the whole package, won't take you to where you need to go.

Thanks for your reply.

I agree now that it needs a fiery, especially after what it did to a job yesterday !, but im going to measure the registration accuracy consistency today and if its outside spec + - 1.2mm then I will be asking for it to be put right or the machine taken away and a refund given.

We bought the c60 and ohcf fully expecting registration to be way better than office machines.

We are looking at the bustled Fiery rip, the cheapest one and maybe trying to get a second user one. Will this rip be good enough ? We have already totally blown our spending budget on the machine !

Thanks

adam1991 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful

I don't know how Xerox bundles things on the C60 bustled Fiery. Having that information will be critical to your making an informed decision.

To be honest, I think you need to find a local consultant to help you evaluate YOUR total needs in relationship with what's going on in the outside world. Perhaps the C60 isn't what you need. Perhaps you need something else from Xerox, or perhaps a different manufacturer would better solve your problem.

But it's clear, you need a Fiery to handle your color needs. How much of a Fiery is still in question, and that depends on the manufacturer you're dealing with as much as exactly what it is you do in your shop.

If the office-level C60 that you have has busted your budget and your Xerox vendor doesn't know or care about what you do, I'm guessing that Xerox isn't the answer for you. Maybe a new machine isn't the answer for you. I don't know. You need an independent professional who's on your side on all of this to evaluate things.

Thanks for your reply.

At the moment the registration appears to be 'within spec' but only just, so we are stuck with the machine whether we like it or not.

We have now realised that the basic controller on this machine is pretty much useless unless you are an office printing black and white plain text documents all day, we even bought a 'postscript kit' to enable the ps driver and that has actually made the colour worse !!

These machines should not be sold to any print shop without a Fiery, but that's what we asked for and that's what we got.

In its most basic form, the c60 is nowhere near as good at colour matching than any of the office style workcenters / phasers etc etc

We can see the following Fiery options:

EX print server
    EXI print server
    Freeflow print server

Since we started this business we have had to do very little colour matching / tweaking so I really only see the need for the cheapest fiery option, whichever one that is. We will book a demo and try some of our own files that we had trouble colour matching.

Any other advice would be great.

I can strongly recommend that you avoid the FreeFlow Print Server for that machine for a number of very good reasons that I won't get into here.

Be aware that there is no such thing as "a Fiery". EFI works directly with the OEMs--Xerox in your case--to provide solutions as defined by the OEM. So, one can't say "it's a Fiery, it has what I know and expect". Every OEM does his own thing, and picks his own options from whatever large list of features and functionality EFI has to offer.

And at the C60 level (read: price conscious, it's all about price, we don't care about features, we just want the cheapest thing that we can call a color copier) OEMs will configure very basic (read: very cheap) Fiery units that are VERY stripped down. Then they will offer optional add-ons, either individually or bundled as packages, to put back in all the goodness that an experienced Fiery user has come to expect over the years.

The result is, you have to know what functionality is reasonable in your world--and determine which OEM offering, including optional features/packages, meets your needs.

I say this to set your expectation: what your vendor will initially offer you will probably NOT meet your expectations in the end. He thinks it's all about price, so he'll show you the price of the lowest end thing. It's up to you to know what you want, specifically, and ask him to present you with something that meets those needs.

So don't be surprised when he comes at you with an initial price, then you end up looking at something that costs more.

It's not about price. It's about VALUE.

But do be aware: the lower end Fiery, what Xerox calls the EX-i powered by Fiery, is *capable* of doing everything you want, of taking you to color processing and workflow levels you don't even realize (yet) you need. I have no doubt of that. What I don't know is how it's configured out of the box vs. optional pieces, and whether the out of the box configuration will suit your needs. Only you can know that. Your vendor apparently isn't interested in knowing or exploring your needs, so use them the same way you use the guy who sells you a candy bar--just as someone to do the transaction with, nothing more. Gather your information elsewhere.

This forum can talk specifically to EFI technologies, but for your overall business and for general color and workflow discussions you might find some other forums are better.

Hi,

Well I thought this would be the best place to ask, as its EFI who make the rips for this machine. So what I can gather from your post is that if im not careful I could be sold a rip that will require other features to be added.

I understand your comments about price, value etc etc but if we are talking about 5, 6, 7 thousand pounds then that's not going to happen as we simply don't have the money.

Looks like im going to be asking our concessionaire a lot of questions !

Default Some advice please

Hi,

Our reseller has suggested this product:

http://w3.efi.com/Fiery/Products/Fie...ow-Integration

Can someone experienced with these products please advise ?
    All we need is accurate colour matching, we don't need multiple virtual printers, imposition etc etc

Many thanks.
    Last edited by xeroxcolourc60; 04-20-2015 at 08:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by xeroxcolourc60 View Post
    So what I can gather from your post is that if im not careful I could be sold a rip that will require other features to be added.
    Exactly my point.

Thanks,

This leaves me in a bit of an awkward position as we are contractually tied to our reseller.
    The product I listed above is apparently the lowest price rip available for our machine, I have already looked at the specs and we have been offered a demo.

I will book the demo and take my laptop and my files with me, that's all I can do to be honest.

Thanks

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast