+ Reply to Thread

Thread: telling me to install CW 5.6 on Fiery server

Default telling me to install CW 5.6 on Fiery server

I have a Xerox and 2 Konica printers, 2 of them which are new as of last December. Downloaded the Fiery Go app for Android and when I try logging into any of them using the IP number, it comes back with:

"Fiery Go cannot connect to this Fiery Server. Please install Command Workstation 5.6 on the Fiery Server to enable Fiery Go."

So a couple things with this, is the Fiery Server something totally different than the Fiery that is on these printers or is this some networking thing over my head?

Also if it is referring to the Fiery that came on these machines, I cant find anywhere telling me what the versions are that are installed on them.

Am I doing everything correctly or am I completely going in another direction? I hate networking!

Can you let us know the model names of the Xerox and Konica Minolta printers you are working with, and the model names of the Fiery servers you're using to connect to them?

To get Fiery Go to work with the Fiery server, the Fiery server has to have the Fiery API service running on it. If you have installed Command WorkStation v5.6 or later directly on the Fiery server, that adds the Fiery API service to the Fiery server itself. Some Fiery servers are bustled/embedded and don't support running applications directly on the Fiery server itself.

With the recent release of the Fiery Extended Applications v4.3, it's possible to use the Fiery Integration Package to install an application called the Fiery Integration Manager on a Windows computer. With that application, it's possible to connect to, and install the Fiery API service onto any Fiery server running System 9 Release 2 or later. This includes both external Fiery servers and embedded/bustled Fiery servers. I'll include more details about this in a separate post shortly. This should let you get around the message that says you need to have Command WorkStation 5.6 installed directly on the Fiery Server.

-Mike

Our printers (Fiery Models Names) are Xerox Color 570 (FS100), Konica Minolta Bizhub Press C7000 (FS100), Konica Minolta Bizhub Press C1060 (9), and I THINK its an OKI DP100GA (8e Release 2). If those are not the correct Fiery model names, let me know where to locate them. Im guessing those are the right names. Im using Command Workstation v5.7.0.29 on my computer.

Im getting a little confused what a Fiery server is. Im guessing that doesnt mean Command Workstation running on my desktop that I can access the printers with. Is the Fiery thats running on each of the individual printers the "Fiery Server"?

Im downloading the Fiery Extended Applications Service Pack now. Will see if I can figure out what you were saying about the Integration Manager. Also, we have contracts on all these machines. Networking is my WORST thing when it comes to computers and printers, and still dont have a full understanding of what Fiery actually is other than its just an OS or something running on the printers like Windows, Android, etc... I really dont want to do anything to totally screw these up. Am I risking doing just that with everything you are suggesting?

Ok, it wasnt as scary as I thought! I found the API and installed it on my Xerox Color 570 and Konica Minolta Bizhub Press C106 and Fiery Go can now connect and seems to do everything I was hoping, thanks!

However the other two printers, when I connect the Integration Manager, it says the Fiery API is not supported. I do have the option to upgrade the JDF (whatever that is). Is this something I should do, or would it be related to getting Fiery Go to work with those? Or are those two printers just too outdated?

Glad it went easier than you expected!

Fiery JDF and Fiery API are two different services; Fiery JDF is for integration with other workflow systems and won't help with Fiery Go. Fiery Go just needs Fiery API on the Fiery server itself.

The Command WorkStation (CWS) is a client application that connects to the Fiery server itself. In some cases where the Fiery server is running Windows, it's possible to run CWS directly on the Fiery Server itself. In most cases, the Fiery Server is either integrated directly into the printer itself, or is running on a small box added to the back of the copier (sometimes described as 'bustled'). I believe the Fiery servers you have are all integrated into the printers themselves, and that you are running CWS on a regular Windows computer (you can also run CWS on a Mac if you prefer).

Unfortunately, we don't support installation of the Fiery API onto the Konica Minolta Bizhub Press C1060 (9) or the OKI DP100GA (8e Release 2) because the are older Fiery models; we only support installation of the Fiery API onto Fiery servers running System 9 Release 2 or later and not the System 9 and System 8e Release 2 Fiery servers you have.

-Mike

I do know that the Fiery units are attached to the back of our printers. Just never really understood if that was just a Fiery or Fiery Server. Should be good enough though, the two printers where Fiery Go works are the two newer printers and get the most use. Thanks for the help!

+ Reply to Thread