Thread: Fiery hot folders 3.6 & 3.7 crashing on start up on MAC 10.6.8

Hybrid View

Default Fiery hot folders 3.6 & 3.7 crashing on start up on MAC 10.6.8

Hi All,

I am really struggling to work out why this crashes on start-up of the hot folders, we have a customer running the hot folders which i have tested with both 3.6 or 3.7 but both versions crash upon start-up this is running on a remote server (MAC 10.6.8) which was working fine up until 11/03/2015, I have tested this on a MAC 10.9 and it works fine but the customer is requesting it is run on version 10.6.8

Please find attached the crash report could anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks,

Spencer - Sharp Business Systems.
    Attached Files

Hi Spencer,

While I'm far from being a mac expert, I do know that 10.6.8 was quite the pain when it came to printers, drivers & associated applications.
    I saw many occasions of users not being able to use finishing functions, false maintenance & consumable messages in printer status, not being able to print at all, extremely long rendering times of basic documents and unable to scan after updates......all while the PC's in the same office, on the same network, happily kept working.

Are any other Fiery Extended Applications crashing?
    While I hate to say it, but have you done a full Fiery EAP removal and reinstall? That's what I'd do.
    Obviously it was working, and does work on newer versions (eg 10.7 fixed print issues for almost all print manufacturers), so maybe start from the beginning and remove/reload.

adam1991 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful

I have to respond here:

Apple spent many sub-versions of Mac OS, starting with the initial release of 10.5 and moving through the various 10.6 versions, making changes that should never happen in sub-version updates.

All of us in the commercial print world went through all of it, from EFI trying hard to develop fixes after the fact--fixes that became irrelevant as Apple released yet another sub-version update that broke everything again in a completely different manner--to end users who just wanted to print.

Caught in the middle were the support people, who got no information from EFI (because they didn't have any) and no information from Apple (because they're Apple).

Apple presented to the world a moving platform that nobody, not even EFI, could accommodate. And it was moving at the speed of light. The result was, Apple put its end users in some very bad positions over a decently long period of time.

But 10.6.8 came and remains a hallmark of stability in the Mac world. It's Apple's answer to XP; it just works, works well, and many many people have stayed with it. Even to this day, an incredible number of people still use it.

10.6.8 is not what you describe.

Yes, I'm a Mac expert, probably from before you were born.

And at this point, EFI knows more about 10.6.8 than anyone, and if they say their apps work under 10.6.8, then they work. Or at least are designed to. There could be a bug to fix, but that doesn't reflect on 10.6.8.

Nice.

Look, I have no doubt the platform is perfectly fine. That's great. There is no need to defend & justify at the same time. I don't care. I was simply running some issues off that we've all seen with 10.6.8. And yes, on many occasions, it is exactly as described......a difficult beast. It works, and works well. No problems. Just cant deny the torrent of issues, questions, forum posts and hours of research we all put in to fix some problems on this.
    If this helps the guy convince the user to upgrade (as he's already demonstrated that it works on 10.9), then isn't that a win-win?
    Obviously something happened earlier in March for Hot Folders to now crash. Easiest attempt of fixing this would be remove & reload of Fiery apps yeah? That's all I was trying to hint at here.