Thread: Mixed media usability issue

Unhappy Mixed media usability issue

Often I need to enter a very large amount mixed media page-range numbers. For example numbers 2,4,6,8... and so on all the way up to 2000.

Currently though there is a limit to the amount of characters that can be pasted into the field. So, for example I can only enter 2,4,6,8... up to 282.

This is very annoying as it means I have to input the page ranges in several separate batches, instead of entering all the numbers at once.
    Not only does it waste time it vastly increases the opportunity for user error, because then the page ranges need to be split up manually.

I imagine there is some arbitrary restriction on how many characters can be entered into the page range field. Is something that can be bypassed or fixed in future?

Can you tell us more about your intended workflow?
    What kind of job are you doing that requires mixed media up to 2000 entries? What are you programming into each entry?

Quote Originally Posted by Greta_C View Post
    Can you tell us more about your intended workflow?
    What kind of job are you doing that requires mixed media up to 2000 entries? What are you programming into each entry?
    I need this for numbering multiple NCR sets (duplicate, triplicate)

For instance, duplicate NCR, each consecutive page is numbered 0001, 0001, 0002, 0002, 0003, 0003 etc. all the way up to 2000.

And each second page needs to be on a different coloured NCR stock. e.g. White, blue, white, blue, white, blue etc.

Using mixed media works beautifully except for the hindrance as stated in my original post.
    I'm not looking for an alternative method, rather just the removal of the arbitrary character limit on the page range input.

You didn't mention which Fiery model and version you have, but one thing you can try is to use the Define Record Length attribute in the VDP tab of Job Properties. For the example you mention above, set the Record Length to 2. This will cause the Fiery to treat every two pages as a separate two page VDP record.

Next, make your media assignment for the first page in the main section of the Media tab of Job Properties and make one Mixed Media exception for the second page. Since the job is defined as a VDP job, the Mixed Media assignment will be applied to each record and this should give you the desired results.

For your triplicate NCR sets, set the Record Length to 3 and make required mixed media assignments for pages 2 and 3.

Thanks Bob, what you're suggesting makes sense. I'll give it a go and report back. I'll be thrilled if it works.

Running VP80, ex-i 80 ver 1.0.

Bob your suggested solution doesn't work I'm afraid. Once VDP "define record length" is applied (pages per record = 3), mixed media individual assignments apply to the full record (3 pages).

So, instead of printing as desired:

white, yellow, blue, white, yellow, blue, white, yellow, blue

I'm getting:

white, white, white, yellow, yellow, yellow, blue, blue, blue

Name:  grab.jpg
Views: 1856
Size:  52.9 KB

Can you provide more specific details about the document you are printing? How many copies did you define? Based on your earlier description, I understood that there was a separate document page for each page in the numbered set.

For example, if each set were three copies and I wanted 10 sets, I would have a 30 page document. Document page 1 would be 0001 printed on white, page 2 would be 0001 printed on blue, page 3 would be 0001 printed on pink, page 4 would be 0002 printed on white, page 5 would be 0002 printed on blue, page 6 would be 0002 printed on pink, etc.

I tested this by setting Copies to 1, then defining the record length as 3 pages per record. Then I assigned white media to the document in the main area if the Media tab and in Mixed Media, defined a page range for page 2 with blue media assigned and a page range for page 3 with pink media assigned. In my test the pages cycled through the three media as expected and followed the pattern throughout the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_B View Post
    Can you provide more specific details about the document you are printing? How many copies did you define? Based on your earlier description, I understood that there was a separate document page for each page in the numbered set.

For example, if each set were three copies and I wanted 10 sets, I would have a 30 page document. Document page 1 would be 0001 printed on white, page 2 would be 0001 printed on blue, page 3 would be 0001 printed on pink, page 4 would be 0002 printed on white, page 5 would be 0002 printed on blue, page 6 would be 0002 printed on pink, etc.

I tested this by setting Copies to 1, then defining the record length as 3 pages per record. Then I assigned white media to the document in the main area if the Media tab and in Mixed Media, defined a page range for page 2 with blue media assigned and a page range for page 3 with pink media assigned. In my test the pages cycled through the three media as expected and followed the pattern throughout the job.
    All of what you're saying is correct with my setup Bob, and yes only "1" copy is defined. Not sure why I'm getting a different result. I'll try again and report back.