Thread: Daylight Savings connection failure

Hybrid View

Default Daylight Savings connection failure

IC-413 Fiery controller on a Konica Minolta C7000 printer we installed in January, 2014. Twice each year, when the clocks shift between standard & daylight savings time, connections to the printer drop out. 50 end users. After 3 days with flaky print connections, in both March and again in October, I edited the registry on each PC, one-at-a-time, until I was able to remove the unusable connections to the printer. This weekend, I expect the same problems, but I do not look forward to editing the registry.

As I understand it, there is a conflict between the EFI controller firmware and Microsoft authentication. Last March, we tried everything that was suggested:
    1. updated the Fiery firmware.
    2. applied the Microsoft patch.

Fingers point to digital certificates and/or DLL libraries that test time offsets. The problem resurfaced in October, and nothing has been done to prevent it from happening again at 2am, Sunday, March 8.

Our service provider says the problem plagues 80% of their customers with Fiery RIPs, using different brands of copiers. A Google search of “Fiery failure DST” yields hits as far back as 2006. We received a Powerpoint from one of your engineers, stating that a combination of MS patches and EFI firmware would solve the problem, but the steps did not work for us. I attached a PDF from EFI blaming Microsoft. Whatever that means! I want to use the Fiery controller; I need to solve this problem; and I cannot do it without help.

Network environment
    50 Windows 7 x64 workstations, Windows Server 2008 R2 (printserver) on a VM server. We deploy the C7000/Fiery printer through a per-user GPO, to give users the privilege to install drivers. We do not use roaming profiles. Most PCs have been used by multiple domain users, logged on with local profiles.

History
    In March, 2014, connections to the new printer started to fail when the time changed to DST. We applied the Fiery firmware and confirmed that all our client workstations already had the requisite Microsoft patch. Users reported printer connection failures getting worse (rather than better) over the next few days.
    We tried to remove the “GPO deployed printer connection,” but simply “disconnecting” the printer connection (from the command line) fails because the “printer is in use.”
    In October, 2014, with the EFI firmware in place already (before the time change), we again lost printer connections.

Possible workaround
    Until EFI provides a real solution, I am willing to live with a temporary workaround – to try to disconnect the printer connection for one user on each PC on Friday, March 6, and to leave the C7000 disconnected until after the time change. We would live without the use of our network color printer over the time change, if it would enable us to restore the printer connection again Sunday morning. What is the efficacy of the alternative approaches to removing a connection – change the GPO deployment, delete the user profile, edit the registry?

Complications
    1. I would like to test the workaround. Can you suggest a way to simulate the time change?
    2. Why was I able to restore printing functionality only after thoroughly editing the registry?
    3. Most of our PCs have a primary user, but we permit other users to log on to the same PC.
    I have a hunch that a significant part of the problem – the reason the printer connection failures snowball a few days after the time change – is that secondary users log in to affected PCs using an old user profile that references the old printer connection. The time stamps on the two connections conflict.
    1. Would it be sufficient to remove the printer connection for the primary user on each PC?
    2. Is it necessary to remove the printer connection for every user with a profile on each PC, or just one?
    3. Would it be necessary or effective to delete the profiles of all secondary profiles on each PC?
    I would dearly appreciate suggestions on how to either solve the problem, or collect information that will be useful in solving the problem?
    Attached Images

Bob, for the IC-413's you have affected by this, what version is/are they?

v1.0?

v1.1?

v1.11?

Take a look at Fiery Configuration page to confirm version IC-413 is running

Scott_W,
    Thanks for your response.
    I don't see any reference to the IC-413, and whether it is running, but I do see the following thru Command Workstation:

Fiery E100 70-60C-KM PS Color Server 1.0
    version 1.0,
    Software: 9
    with Fiery update 1-18LDJR

Does that answer your question?

Yes, that's what I was looking for.

EFI does now have fixes for some (all?) DST related issues that have been reported over last few years.

I will request that IC-413 v1.0 print driver be updated to incorporate those fixes.
    Unfortunately, the DST change will happen before this driver can be released, most likely.

I will need to verify ETA and get back to you.

Thank you,

Scott_W,
    If there are known fixes, I am disappointed that our print services provider was unable to learn about and make them available to us in a timely manner (before the upcoming time change). But I welcome your help.
    Any suggestions on what we can do to minimize the impact on our printing this weekend?

Bob

Bob, please check your private message inbox

Default Did you get a fix

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Lewis View Post
    Scott_W,
    If there are known fixes, I am disappointed that our print services provider was unable to learn about and make them available to us in a timely manner (before the upcoming time change). But I welcome your help.
    Any suggestions on what we can do to minimize the impact on our printing this weekend?

Bob
    Hi Bob,

Did you get a fix for the issue? When the disconnections occurred, was the Fiery doing a soft-reboot at the server? Just wondering what the final outcome was. I'm seeing a similar issue at a customer, but the Fiery automatically restarts it's service and causes the CWS to disconnect at the FACI.

- Brad