Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Printing vs CREO

Exclamation Printing vs CREO

We came from CREO and we sent jobs over and it didnt matter if we sent them portrait or landscape in InDesign, we could simply flip the orientation in the CREO when imposing. On Fiery the printed artwork, it seems to be unaffectable. You have options to change orientation, but they dont work. it's almost like your changing only "a clipping mask like frame" above the artwork. You can change individual pages to be across long or across short, but you cannot actually rotate the artwork... its bananas... and its driving us crazy and causing a lot more clicks, which as we all know over the long run are money, and in typical fashion you get training, but the guy who comes doesnt seem to actually know...

Help!

thistlegorm is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status

Any chance you can help us ? what have you purchased ? vendor RIP etc etc
    Remember you are what you eat ! I'm a twix..

adam1991 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful

This is a major defining cultural difference between how Creo does things and how EFI does things.

What you're experiencing is completely expected, given the technical differences in how the two systems image files.

I understand completely what you mean by "it's almost like your changing only "a clipping mask like frame" above the artwork.". You're right.

Why did you change from Creo in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by thistlegorm View Post
    Any chance you can help us ? what have you purchased ? vendor RIP etc etc
    I am afraid I dont know what you mean? Are you asking me which machine we bought that it came with?

Quote Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
    This is a major defining cultural difference between how Creo does things and how EFI does things.

What you're experiencing is completely expected, given the technical differences in how the two systems image files.

I understand completely what you mean by "it's almost like your changing only "a clipping mask like frame" above the artwork.". You're right.

Why did you change from Creo in the first place?
    Well, that much is definitely becoming more and more obvious, which we expected to some degree, but you can never know until your in it how different.

Well, we took on a new leased machine when our current one went out on lease. Xerox no longer offers CREO with its products. The owner worked for Xerox for just about 30 years up until a few years ago when he opened this shop. Makes it easy since he is capable of fixing and knowing the machines better than most techs they send. We've always had CREO and he preferred it and everyone here knew it well, but they quit developing them for their machines and CREO is no longer available. It was Fiery or nothing, in fact they were going to quit supporting or having CREO equipment/etc... It had somewhat to do with why we went into a new machine as well.

It's causing a lot of extra work for the designers and the press operators since it has become a lot of back and forth and trying to figure out which things have to be rotated and which way depending on imposition... its just overly convoluted and if we can figure out how to bypass this issue it would be very relieving.

I actually have a list of questions they couldnt answer the guys want me to ask on these forums.

thistlegorm is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status

Yep - which machine do you have now ? & what did you have.. also by all means ask your questions...
    Remember you are what you eat ! I'm a twix..

adam1991 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful

Sorry to hear that.

The world has changed, drastically, and Xerox is no longer what it was.

You can still get Creo. You just can't get Creo on a Xerox machine.

I can show you a Creo setup that costs less than a comparable Xerox and which gives way superior color and consistency...

So there is no manner in which to affect this on the Fiery?

We went from the ColorPress 800 to the 1000. No real issues with color. No one else even has anything close around here and he knows how to work on them so he is dedicated to the Xerox machines.

What the guys are saying/asking so far:

1.Paper is not showing up in Fiery when I create a paper 9 x 11 (SEF tab) It shows (unassigned) If I change the paper to 9.05 x 11 it works.

2. Copies vs Sheets in Imposition. If I have 24 up on a sheets and I need 200, I would like to put 200 and the machine would figure out the number of sheets to print.

3. Keep Ripped jobs in the Archive folder. We there a way to not have to re-rip the job when I go to print from the archive?

4.VI Job Mulit-Record CutNStack puts the jobs not cutnstack. It put records in sequence. If the job has 4 images per page it puts 1 -4 on the first page instead of in thru the stack.

5.Any way to define the size of the image in VI. Example, I have a VI 4 x 6 postcard that has a .25 bleed. If I send it that way and need to impose it 8 up there is no way for me to define the size as 4 x 6 that I can see. It is 4.5 x 6.5

6.Any way to Set Bleed to Auto (or even .25) in the hold queue instead of changing it every time.

7.We printed a job that 2000 flyers last Friday. FedEx destroyed the box and the contents so we had to reprint the same job on Tuesday. Use the Same file, same settings and could not even come close on the color? More than likely we are not trained well enough to get the same color, but with all the same setting I would think it should have been close. We even recalibrated, created a new profile with no luck.

One more:
    Used to be that if a customer sent a sad piece of artwork, lets say a BC with a logo, and that logo being the most horrible jpeg anyone could ever imagine had a 2-4% yellow in the background where it out to be clear. We would just bring up the color adjustment screen and click the offending % of color and curve it out.

Where might this be in Fiery?

Steve0 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor Steve0 is on a distinguished path

You could "curve it out" but of course that would affect the entire color cast of the job. To bend a color curve, go to Device Center > Resources > Profiles, select an output profile, right click and go "Edit Profile."

Other things that might work maybe are spot color substituting it out (not likely), selecting a different rendering intent in your color settings, or turning ColorWise Off entirely.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast