Thread: Large PS files with Hotfolders

Default Large PS files with Hotfolders

Hello-
    It appears that The Hotfolders programs will only move 1 file at a time and does not process them synchronously? We are producing PS files that are 1-10gig+ in size and noticed a tremendous slowdown in file transfers as it appears the program will only transfer 1 at a time. The network backbone is all gigabit. I was also wondering if another transfer method would be more efficient for files of this size, like FTP for example.
    thank you-

thistlegorm is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status

Of course it doesn't - a 10Gb file & a 100Kb file file in a hotfolder - really ? presumably you are looking for "sequential" printing ? yet again - why is it posters looking for help cannot even be bothered to even read previous posts where the first question would be "what is your setup" ? lets start with the basics which devices do you have ? - also you are looking for help - why am I the person asking questions when you require help..?

Or perhaps we can all start guessing...
    Remember you are what you eat ! I'm a twix..

Now Thistlegorm, I know you mean well, but please try to be a little more polite to our new forum users, OK?

ljw656 - Yes Fiery Hot Folders only transfers a single file at a time, this is as per design.
    Can you share with us some numbers on what you are seeing? E.g. a 1GB file takes ?? mins to reach the Fiery?

I only ask because in the latest version of Hot Folders (included in the FEA REl 4.2. package on our website) we fixed a problem where Hot Folders slowed down on processing files after some time, until the application was restarted (or the computer rebooted). Please try the latest version and let me know.

Also yes you can use FTP to send files to the Fiery, we support 'Print via FTP', this can be enabled in Configure. I'm not sure if it would be more efficient than Hot Folders in your setup, but you can always try it out.

Regards,

Greta.

Thank you Greta for a professional response.
    I believe when it is working properly, it only takes 3 or 4 minutes to transfer a 4 gig file which I think is pretty fast. Earlier this week when it slowed down it took an hour to do about the same size. I did try rebooting the server after that and everything's been working fine since.
    We are running Hotfolders 3, so it sounds like I should upgrade.
    Hot Folders originally installed with Command Workstation, but I'm guessing I can find version 4.2 on efi's site as a standalone install.
    Thank you again!

Weve been seeing extremely slow transfers again from the Hotfolders program. I have the latest version installed I believe, 3.6.0.15. We monitored the resources yesterday and saw that the server is not saturated. Our workflow software is multithreaded, and our overall CPU will hover between 60 and 80%. The network traffic rarely reaches 30% capacity. The RIPS, switch, cabling, and server all are setup for a gigabit backbone. The server has 2 nic cards and is 8 cores with 16 gig of RAM. Im seeing 4-8 gig transfers take 30 minutes. Any thoughts on what else we could try with this program? Otherwise if I could set up a file copy on the server, what address or location could we try to send files to the RIPs?

Just a note to the other moderators in here, we (HF team) are now working with ljw656 directly to resolve this issue.