Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: EOL Windows XP - is there an upgrade path for an EX260?

steveclv is offline Senior Fiery Forum Contributor steveclv is on a distinguished path

Default EOL Windows XP - is there an upgrade path for an EX260?

Now that Windows XP has reached End of Life, are there any options available for Fiery EX260 owners to upgrade to newer versions of Windows?

Are there newer Fieries that can work with the older Xerox DocuColor printers such as the DC242/252 range?

adam1991 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful

Xerox never upgrades their Fiery systems. They've chosen not to spend the money to certify new RIP systems for old printers, and have chosen instead to have their customers spend lots of new money on all-new systems--including print engines--if they want new RIP features.

The Fiery is a closed system, and as such "it is what it is".

That being said, why do you think you need it not to run on XP?

Oh--if this helps you answer my question, be aware that the XP that runs your Fiery is, technically, not a Microsoft product. It's an embedded system, and as such it is completely an EFI product. Embedded products are on their own schedule, unrelated to Microsoft's end-user schedule.

Look it up.

oxident is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor oxident is on a distinguished path

I totally agreed with adam1991. Usually, Xerox didn't offer any (free or paid) system upgrades for existing or EOL products, even if it might be a security risk.

But if you're a little bit experienced, you might try something at your own. I don't know if it works but you can try to make an image of your Fiery (on case, it won't work) and try to setup a fresh Win7 (32bit!!) installation. After making sure, it works flawlessly, search the Fiery installation media and you should find the main setup.exe

If it works, you're lucky. But please keep in mind that this kind of "custom setup" is totally unsupported by either Xerox or EFI.
    IC-306 v3.01 FS100 Pro / KM C6000, IC-308 v2.1 FS150 Pro / KM C71hc / SD-513, IC-414 / KM C754
    CWS 5.8 SP2, Windows 10 x64

adam1991 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful

There was exactly ONE time that Xerox offered a new RIP system for its old engine hardware: that's when Xerox themselves rebranded the 700 and turned it into the 700i, all without changing one bit of hardware or firmware on the engine itself.

Yes, the 700i is 100% the same hardware/firmware as the 700. The ONLY thing that made it "700i" was the ability to auto-duplex beyond 220gsm--and THAT behavior was driven STRICTLY by the DFE, either Fiery or FreeFlow Print Server.

(They also stretched and offered the EXACT same hardware/firmware as the 770, which was nothing more than the 700 that could auto duplex over 220gsm AND had the option to run a rated speed for all stock weights--another choice driven solely by the Fiery or FreeFlow Print Server--AND had the built-in inline spectro for auto calibration and profiling, which affected the engine exactly not at all but fed spectra data back to the Fiery.)

How weird that situation was. Because it was identical hardware, Xerox allowed existing 700 users to buy the new Fiery for the 700i. Old engine hardware stayed in place, the customer got moved from System 8r2 to System 10, and they got the feature that the Fiery drove auto-duplex all the way to 300gsm. All the end user had to do was disconnect the old Fiery and plug in the new. Voila!

oxident is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor oxident is on a distinguished path

Wow, you're kidding, aren't you?

I've already heard some opinions about 700 vs. 700i being a pure sales related product upgrade but I never thought about this strategy. Let's hope, Xerox will become a little bit more "customer orientated" in the future (as they already were in the past). I mean, their machines are quite well engineered and some features, like the internal spectro (with the backchannel to the controller) are really innovative but it looks to me like the sales (and support) department are simply killing these advantages regularly.

Presenting myself as a KM fanboy fairly often, I have to admit that KM indeed has updates for XPe Fierys and those updates are, as far as I know, free of charge.

So I really hope, steveclv can get his Fiery somehow running using Win7
    IC-306 v3.01 FS100 Pro / KM C6000, IC-308 v2.1 FS150 Pro / KM C71hc / SD-513, IC-414 / KM C754

No, I'm not kidding. And this Xerox strategy was very short lived and was not at all intended to be customer-friendly. It was simply a result of the marketing strategy of leveraging an engine for a longer period of time, with a few simple software tweaks to make it do some new tricks it wasn't really designed to do. As we all know, it's far cheaper to "fix" something in software than in hardware. "Hey look, we can continue to sell the old hardware that's already developed, and present it as an all-new system!"

As for inline spectro, well, I'm not sure I'm a huge fan of this. I find value in measuring across the entire sheet, not at a single point in the center of the sheet. My way saves paper and clicks, and is more accurate. Their way gives them a marketing angle that says "push button simple"--even if the push button mechanism isn't as accurate.

KM does offer an update to their most recent XP-based Fierys, to software based on Windows 7; however, it's not free, not at all. There's always Windows licensing to pay for--and for the external RIPs there's an entirely new feature set involved which means there's new Adobe licensing to pay for as well.

But paying for that is way, way cheaper than having to buy an entirely new printing system.

steveclv is offline Senior Fiery Forum Contributor steveclv is on a distinguished path

Thanks, I'll give that Win7 option a try - is there anything special about the PC itself other that what's on the hard drive and the video card that drives the printer? It looks like a Dell machine but I wonder if there is anything special about the mboard (bios) - I'd rather experiment on a separate machine 'just in case'

I'm afraid you can't do that on a different system because the Fiery system software won't install/run. I guess there are some license information within the BIOS. Additionally, your license is bound to the MAC address.

Therefore, you should make an image of your current installation (Acronis, Clonezilla, ...) and then start from scratch ;-)

But keep in mind: You need the 32bit version!

Quote Originally Posted by steveclv View Post
    Thanks, I'll give that Win7 option a try - is there anything special about the PC itself other that what's on the hard drive and the video card that drives the printer? It looks like a Dell machine but I wonder if there is anything special about the mboard (bios) - I'd rather experiment on a separate machine 'just in case'
    Yes, the bios is customized to EFI's specifications.

Trying to load generic Win7 and then running a Fiery setup application won't work, period.

Quote Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
    Trying to load generic Win7 and then running a Fiery setup application won't work, period.
    Well, it might work and I've already got it working on a different Fiery because my installation media was faulty and the replacement kit didn't arrive in time.

But I agree that it's an unsupported way and it might fail or won't work as expected (or at all) but if you're a little bit experienced (or want to gain experience) AND YOU'VE GOT A WORKING BACKUP, feel free to try.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast