Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: EOL Windows XP - is there an upgrade path for an EX260?

adam1991 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful

well, one can say "it will function". That's way, way different from "it will work".

I use "it will work" in the context of "we spent a boatload of money for a Fiery so we can use it in production and make money". In that context, it won't work; you'll end up wasting a bunch of time and losing money, and going back to the factory load of everything.

"It will function" is what I call a science experiment. And nobody puts a science experiment into production...

oxident is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor oxident is on a distinguished path

As always, I (mostly) agree and yes, I also have to admit that your following statement brought me uncountable hours of useless extra work and sometimes a huge amount of frustration:
    Quote Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
    And nobody puts a science experiment into production...
    But: If the OP is really concerned about a security risk of an EOL Windows, it might be an option

IMHO, I wouldn't care much about that security risk because one should keep in mind that nobody would expose the RIP directly to the internet or a "public intranet" and that the "realistic rest of life" for the DC2xx series won't be more than 3-5 years from now, will it?
    IC-306 v3.01 FS100 Pro / KM C6000, IC-308 v2.1 FS150 Pro / KM C71hc / SD-513, IC-414 / KM C754
    CWS 5.8 SP2, Windows 10 x64

adam1991 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful

Overall my thought is that who cares what the OS is, it's just a RIP and as such is zero security threat regardless. If you're that worried about it and you can't stick it behind your firewall, then just expect to reload it regularly just because.

It's easy enough to hide it completely behind a firewall and never allow inbound traffic from the outside or outbound traffic without proxy authentication.

thistlegorm is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status

Good to see a little common sense has prevailed - I hope ? was looking forward to Oxident explaining how the APPE rip would work on a Standard MS Win 7 X64 Install ?

Just to clarify a few points raised - the DC242 / 260 was superseded some 4 / 5 years back with the XC560 - From a Fiery Perspective (EX560) this started with Ver 1,0 & then 1.1 - both OS were XP Pro FES - as the Newer XC570 became available with it's EX570 Ver 1.0 software which is the Win 7 x64 but sits on a very similar platform there is a Hardware / Software upgrade ( Part No available on Application ) which would let you load V2.0 on an "old" EX560 - thus giving you a Win 7 x64 platform on an existing printer ? ( Sorry Adam - but there only two I can think off - this & the migration on an EX12 WINNT to XPe ) as you can see both of these platforms sit across an OS change & require a hardware as well as software upgrade.

Unfortunately you have what you have - there isn't an upgrade for your RIP from an OS Perspective - & there wont be..
    Remember you are what you eat ! I'm a twix..

ah, yeah, I forgot about the EX12 migration.

WinNT. That was back in the day. 14 years ago. The initial EX2000 couldn't transfer the rasters fast enough due to NT file system limitations...

oxident is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor oxident is on a distinguished path

Quote Originally Posted by thistlegorm View Post
    Good to see a little common sense has prevailed - I hope ? was looking forward to Oxident explaining how the APPE rip would work on a Standard MS Win 7 X64 Install
    As I've mentioned earlier, this is absolutely possible and I've already did it on an IC306 2.0

After I finally received the replacement media kit, a quick look at the installation process revealed that EFI is doing nothing else than a scripted install of Win7 and launches the product setup right afterwards.
    Last edited by oxident; 09-02-2014 at 09:44 PM.
    IC-306 v3.01 FS100 Pro / KM C6000, IC-308 v2.1 FS150 Pro / KM C71hc / SD-513, IC-414 / KM C754
    CWS 5.8 SP2, Windows 10 x64

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2