+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Exporting Hot Folders

DragonLeaves is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor DragonLeaves is on a distinguished path

Lightbulb Exporting Hot Folders

Greetings,

If I all my backup folders are at c:\here and c:\there, at the root, and I make a backup... can I restore a new install on a different computer that backup, presuming I create the same folders there?

ps: I can rename the .fbf to .zip and get the .cfg (xml) where is that file on the system? I couldn't find it.

Thanks,

thistlegorm is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status

You backup / restore Hotfolders from the Hotfolders Console in File -> Backup/Restore - when you restore the hbf file you will be prompted where you want to restore the hotfolders to.

In answer to your 2nd point I haven't tried it but I would guess no - as the files generated are of a propritetory nature..
    Remember you are what you eat ! I'm a twix..

DragonLeaves is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor DragonLeaves is on a distinguished path

Quote Originally Posted by thistlegorm View Post
    You backup / restore Hotfolders from the Hotfolders Console in File -> Backup/Restore - when you restore the hbf file you will be prompted where you want to restore the hotfolders to.

In answer to your 2nd point I haven't tried it but I would guess no - as the files generated are of a proprietary nature..
    Hi!

Thank you for your answer

I was able to backup and restore on a different computer the 3 hot folders targeting 3 different machines. So far so good.

So far the only draw back of this app is found when you export from inDesign the Pdf to the hot folder sometimes (if you check preview in the export windows) the file locks up and you have it in command workstation duplicating itself merrily. Happened also with a bad pdf. Even disabling the hot folder it still took about five minutes before it stopped sending copies into the hold queue. That was bad. I couldn't delete the file also because hot folders is programmed in a way that system has a lock on it. Systernal's unlocker could do it but that's a drastic solution...

p.s.: Concerning the 'proprietary' notion of files whose true extension have been randomly changed, I would dare put forth the idea that simply changing a file extension to some random extension doesn't make a file proprietary. Moreover, simply dissecting copies of files on one's computer can in no way breach any IP. Now if I were to engage in copying online, reselling, etc. that would be another matter. But simply 'hacking' (in the 1940's sense of the word) files for one's own private knowledge is fine: heck, this is how apps are often extended or have new features provided by their powerusers!

+ Reply to Thread