Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: black detection ticker box missing

Default black detection ticker box missing

Hello! I've just upgraded to workstation 5.6 and i can't find where the black detection ticker box that was under color on lower versions. was it removed or moved where? I need to print color over black on other side, i found the mixed media section it works on single document, however i need to print with VDP using master and imprint in freeform and mixed media does not work with it. Any other way to print color over black with freeform and not get click charges for color? thank you!

I'm confused. You want to print in color, but not get charged a color click? I don't think that is possible! Maybe I have misinterpreted your workflow?

Could you let us know which Fiery model and version you are connecting to?

sorry i have the word "both" color click missing in my sentence. The print job is color on one side and black & white on the other side. I don't want to be charge for both color clicks when i run it as double sided. I have a j75 with external fiery command workstation 5.6. Previous version have a black detection ticker box that when check it automatically reads the document side that is black & white and charge it as B&W click even though Im running it together with other side as a color click.

Duplex printing, one side color other side black and white. Anyone knows how to run it without being charge for both color clicks? there used to be a black detection on lower version of command workstation that lets me do this printing and charge it as 1 color + 1 black and white clicks instead, but i can't find it now in the 5.6 version. I found the mixed media color but this doesn't work with VDP printing. thanks

adam1991 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful

If the page is truly black, it should automatically detect that.

Have you printed it and check your machine counters, to validate what kind of a click you're getting?

Why would your black-only page print as anything other than black? Are there any color elements on the page?

hmmmm, VDP. On a modern system, I would set the record length in the VDP tab, then see if my mixed media setup operates at the record level ("page 2 of each record is black only")...I don't remember offhand if it does or not...

Quote Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
    If the page is truly black, it should automatically detect that.

Have you printed it and check your machine counters, to validate what kind of a click you're getting?

Why would your black-only page print as anything other than black? Are there any color elements on the page?

hmmmm, VDP. On a modern system, I would set the record length in the VDP tab, then see if my mixed media setup operates at the record level ("page 2 of each record is black only")...I don't remember offhand if it does or not...

thank you for your reply adam. yes the other side is truly B&W (I checked color separation on it and it is just all B&W). yes, I test run it and it did not read it automatically as B&W. I found the mixed media section to tell the machine which page to print as B&W. it worked on regular duplex printing; however, i needed to do VDP and mixed media doesn't work with it. I think I have to use freeform 2 but i don't know how to access it.

adam1991 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful

how did you check color seps on page 2 to ensure it's a black only page? What color space--CMYK or RGB? Are there any application-driven crop marks on the page?

graphicsVivi
    Are you sure that the black detection box was available when you were connected to the J75 Fiery? Because from my checks that feature is not included in J75.
    I've just checked 3 J75 servers, with CWS 5.3, 5.5 and 5.6, and at no point can I see a black detection option under color tab.

Is is possible you saw this option when connected to another Fiery server? Or perhaps in another Fiery driver?

@Adam, I checked it in Acrobat, you can check the output preview by separation. so i know i don't have any color on the CMY plate, only on the black plate for that page.

@Greta yes i do have another machine with a different fiery a xerox250, this one uses the CWS4 and it does have the black detection check box. We just got the J75 so I'm still learning a lot. So does that means that CWS options depends on what machine we have? I have CWS 5.6 loaded on J75 and I don't see the black detection box.

I found the mixed media option on J75 CWS5.6. This option lets me select the pages that will print in Black and white. It charges correctly one black click and one color click. However, I usually do VDP printing, and this option does not work with VDP (freeform1)

Is there another way to detect BW & color printing together with VDP? Somewhere i read about more options on freeform2 but i can't find anymore info on how to use freeform2. do you know anything about freeform2?

*Update* I just noticed that the black detection check box shows on the j75 fiery print driver on my computer's acrobat. when i send the file for printing, i go to properties and inside the J75 print properties for fiery printing tab, under color tab, the black detection check box shows. But on the command workstation in the fiery computer it doesn't.

thank you!
    Last edited by graphicsVivi; 08-13-2014 at 01:34 PM.

oxident is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor oxident is on a distinguished path

I'm not sure if the presence of this checkbox would fix anything in your case. According to my experience, those "false color clicks" are often based on problems adam1991 talked about (RGB values, process crop marks, ...).

Have you checked the advanced color settings, especially the "Grey" tab where you can choose if the Fiery will convert grey values to pure black (or mixed black)?

If it's suitable for your needs, you might consider setting CMYK and RGB grey to use K-only. You might run into problems with some images but this definitely forces many kind of grey elements to use black only. Maybe you should try this...

Nevertheless, the black detection doesn't seem to have any use on my machines at all
    IC-306 v3.01 FS100 Pro / KM C6000, IC-308 v2.1 FS150 Pro / KM C71hc / SD-513, IC-414 / KM C754
    CWS 5.8 SP2, Windows 10 x64

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast