Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Impose and Templates on more than one printer

Default Impose and Templates on more than one printer

We have CWS5 and three different printers. Each printer has different fiery hardware based on the machine.

I have some confusion about the templates I have set up. They are available only in the printer in which I originally set them up in.... NOT as a global impose template available to use in all servers that the CWS is interfacing with. (For various reasons, hot folders also do not seem to be a viable option)

I am working from the same CWS in all cases, just sending to different servers/printers, and wanting to impose there.

Is this a normal situation? Does the template therefore reside on the server itself even though it is accessed from the workstation?

StarDigital is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor StarDigital is on a distinguished path

Imposition Presets are located on host machine, mine is in the documents folder
    job presets though are set for local (on your printer and accessable only on your printer) or server based (which is on the server and any CWS connected to it can use that preset, it is listed in the Workflow tab and virtual printers/hotfolders can use them directly.

If you want them on another computer you can save the job templates (from job properties manage preset export) to an XML and import them in another printer. Though they will stay static compared to your base CWS presets which could change.

Best to decide if the preset should be universal (server) or changed often (local) and put them there.

P.S. to change a server preset you must open it from workflow tab in Device Center.

Dan

Thanks Dan. Working through your reply one line at a time, and learning...

I do see a CWS5 folder in the documents folder on my desktop. It is empty at the moment.

If I understand correctly, An imposition preset would tell the server make it 12up on a 9x12 sheet, (set through impose/save as template) while A job preset would contain information like paper catalog and such, (set through the job properties). I did not realize I could set and save job presets. That opens up possibilities!

I will keep poking around and play with this. I see now that only two of our three printers allow "user defined" specs in impose. So far, I can save templates in both of these printers, but they do not share templates between them, at least not where I can find them.

Again, thank you for the informative reply. I learn so much here!

Robin

thistlegorm is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status

Hi Printnut,

If you go onto one of your Fiery's -> Edit -> Preferences -> Paths -> Default Impose Templates this will give you the physical location of your Impose Templates on that Fiery or Indeed PC / MAC that you have Command Workstation loaded on - you can then copy your Templates across into this location in order to share the templates out across the Fiery's - just be aware that if you have any RIP's that does not support "User Defined" in the Finish Sheet size - these obviously will not show .. hope that helps..
    Remember you are what you eat ! I'm a twix..

StarDigital is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor StarDigital is on a distinguished path

Your welcome Printnut, Thanks Thistlegorm i forgot about that location,

Since user defined is new to me, i may be wrong, but i believe it is a new feature with CWS, or at least one that has been getting programming attention. So check to make sure your fiery's CWS on the servers are up to spec.

Dan

Yes, that file location helps indeed! Thank you both so much!

Side benefit: looks like that will be a much easier way to delete unnecessary templates than through the impose window. ( Wish list: A way to EDIT a template once it has been created. )

So, after playing a bit with the templates and saving them, I am noticing that they only populate one direction. In other words, even though both servers are saving the templates in the same file location ... only one server (R) grabs the templates created from both machines. The other machine (X) will only use the templates it created. The easiest way to fix this is to just create them in the (X) server so that they will be available to both machines.

But I am so glad to know where the file templates are saved -- now I can save the same templates to any CWS workstation that we work from and know that the results will be uniform!

adam1991 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful

You edit a template simply by calling it, then re-saving it.

KISS is in play here.

Ah, yes ... but I also have to remember what that template was called that I am modifying, as changing any of the impose settings creates a blank space for the name. My memory has actually gotten better since the first few times!

Does yours work differently?

adam1991 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful

Admittedly, no, it does not.

But outside of that, I do believe that the best way to edit a template is via the full Fiery job ticket dialog box.

I too have been frustrated by trying to remember the name i gave an impose preset, so a wishlist item would be good. Perhaps a button nest to the trash can that symbolizes updating. Also don't blank the name out when changed yet unsaved, put a star next to it like you do for a changed server preset in the job list queue.

Dan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast