Thread: installing or creating new fonts into fiery

Default installing or creating new fonts into fiery

I'm new to the fiery system, so this may be an easy one, but I couldn't find it in the many threads listed in this forum.

I am currently running the command workstation fiery system on konica minolta c-7000 color printer. I have been having issues with only having the 130 fonts (I know it seems like a lot, but it's really not). I am constantly running into issues where the fonts are changing, or not running because the fiery does not recognize the font in the pdf. It does work fine if I go through the print driver, but the volume of printing that I do makes this very difficult to determine whether the document (on average each document is over 500 to 1000 pages with tabs and inserts, and 50-100 copies of each document) should be dropped into CWS or run through a print driver.

Now that I've explained the background, here's the issue. I'm trying to upload new fonts into the Fiery that are common on Microsoft Word to help reduce the number of times we have to go through the print driver (print driver does not have all necessary/needed functions of CWS) "Tahoma" font is an example (which is funny because it's available in this post, but not in the system!). Is there any site, any update, any anything that will allow me to download the psfont so that I can easily install it on the fiery CWS station? I've read manual after manual and post after post on how to install the font, but it never tells me how to "create" the psfont. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    kamarsh

adam1991 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful

Your documents use TrueType fonts, but the Fiery is a Postscript system. You can't upload a TT font to the Fiery.

I believe in Fiery Setup there's a choice for font substitution...hmmmmmm, trying to remember....that would map the missing font to something similar in Postscript, and I've never seen anyone complain.

Your other choice is to print the documents in question, which as you see will translate the TT to Postscript as it prints. That behavior is defined in the print driver setup in your control panel folder (if you're using Windows).

Now, frankly, you shouldn't need any of this--if the PDF is created correctly. And by correctly, I mean if the person who created the PDF set it up to embed the fonts into the PDF. My guess is that your PDFs have the font calls, but not the actual font definitions.