Thread: Paper Management

Default Paper Management

Hi,

Not only am I new to this forum but I'm new to Fiery controllers and command workstation.

Anyway,

The company I work for want to bring as much of the marketing material as possible to 'in house' print. We recently accepted a proposal from a company to install a new Konica machine in the office as our current machine was at the end of it's lease. My boss mentioned that we wanted to do more 'in house' print to the supply company and they suggested we add a Fiery controller. This is where I first heard of such a product just 2 weeks ago so please stick with me.

The machine is now installed, Command Workstation downloaded, nice SRA3 paper delivered and the Fiery controller is stuck to the back of the machine so we are ready and raring to go.

I first decided to download some tutorials from EFI Fiery website and this is where it falls down. The first thing of interest to me was the 'gang up' option. The tutorial told me to right click my held file and click 'impose'. When I follow this instruction I"m asked for an activation key that I do not have. I can get round this by setting up the gang in my design work. The next feature that appealed to me was the ability to setup a custom paper stock under the 'paper catalogue' but I cannot see this feature or icon placed where the tutorial says it should be within command workstation.

Are both the points mentioned above extra software options that will need purchased to have the ability to use?

I'm wondering what the Fiery is actually doing for us now???

Here are all the specs to help anyone interested in replying:-

Konica Minolta C454e

Command Workstation 5.5.0.35

Fiery E100-1E0B(60-55C-KM - V 1.2)

Fiery System 10E

Appreciate any help you guys can offer.

Cheers,

Lee.
    Last edited by leep7758; 06-10-2014 at 06:16 AM. Reason: Change Heading. Can't change heading.

Your IC-414 Fiery controller / C454e combo does not support Paper Catalog. It is considered an office system, not a production system.

To get Paper Catalog, you would need to step up to KM IC-413, IC-306, IC-3600, IC-415, IC-308, or IC-310 (with new "matching" copier as well)

As for Impose, and other options available for your current Fiery, here is the list:

KIT,OPTION,PRODUCTIVITY PACKAGE FOR LINUX EMBEDDED,W/USB HASP-HL MAX,GENERIC
    EFI COLOR PROFILER SUITE V4.x W/ES-2000
    EFI COLOR PROFILER SUITE V4.x SOFTWARE ONLY
    EFI COLOR PROFILER SUITE V4.x UPGRADE V3.X TO V4.0
    KIT,OPTION,ES-2000,HARDWARE ONLY
    KIT,OPTION,FIERY SEEQUENCE IMPOSE+CWS5.0,V1.0,EFIGSBPDJSC,OEM
    KIT,OPTION,FIERY SEEQUENCE COMPOSE+CWS5.0,V1.0,EFIGSBPDJSC,OEM
    KIT,OPTION,FIERY SEEQUENCE SUITE(IMPOSE+COMPOSE)+CWS5.0,V1.0,EFIGSBPDJSC,OEM
    KIT,OPTION,HOT FOLDERS&VIRTUAL PRINTER,LINUX,USB HASP-HL MAX 3.25,GENERIC,ROHS
    KIT,OPTION,AUTO-TRAP,LINUX,USB HASP-HL MAX 3.25,GENERIC,ROHS

Please contact your KM dealer for any questions you have regarding this options.

Quote Originally Posted by leep7758 View Post
    Hi,

I first decided to download some tutorials from EFI Fiery website and this is where it falls down. The first thing of interest to me was the 'gang up' option. The tutorial told me to right click my held file and click 'impose'. When I follow this instruction I"m asked for an activation key that I do not have. I can get round this by setting up the gang in my design work. The next feature that appealed to me was the ability to setup a custom paper stock under the 'paper catalogue' but I cannot see this feature or icon placed where the tutorial says it should be within command workstation.
    Hello - you do not need Impose to use the Gang Up option. When you are ready to print your file, choose your Fiery-enabled printer as the printer, then click on the Properties (might be called Preferences) button. This will bring up the print options for print to the Fiery. On the Layout tab you will see the option to format the document regular, booklet-style, or Gang-up. Click on Gang-up and look at the options. You can print so that you have each page repeated on each page (step-and-repeat) or the document is printed 'down the stack' (cut-and-stack).

You also do not need Paper Catalog to set up a custom paper... sort of. Let's say you are using 105gsm matte paper as a paper you use regularly. That translates to Thick1 on the Konica you have. So you can save a job setting called "my105gsm" [or whatever name you like] then just pick that job setting whenever you use that paper and you won't have to think about whether it is Thick1 or Thick2 or whatever on the Konica ever again!