Thread: Command Workstation crashing on Mac OSX 10.9

Default Command Workstation crashing on Mac OSX 10.9

I just got a new Mac Mini running 10.9 and I installed the latest version of Command Workstation (5.5.0.35), but when I try to launch, it stops responding and I have to force quit. I have redownloaded the software several times and retried, but I get the same results. Any help?

Unhappy

I have a similar problem. It was working fine on my system Mac Pro OSX 10.9 and then it suddenly won't launch.
    I receive the splash screen and then a pop-up saying "Well....this is awkward" and asking me to send in a report to EFI. I have completely uninstalled all EFI software using the uninstaller. I downloaded and installed 5.3 with the same result.
    I know it's a random issue but how on earth do I get some help?

EFI - are you supporting your clients??? How do I get help with this??????

Quote Originally Posted by richo7 View Post
    EFI - are you supporting your clients??? How do I get help with this??????
    Talk about terrible customer service EFI. This is appalling.
    How the hell do I get someone to help me with YOUR product???????

adam1991 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by richo7 View Post
    Talk about terrible customer service EFI. This is appalling.
    How the hell do I get someone to help me with YOUR product???????
    http://w3.efi.com/support/overview

You can also speak with the vendor who sold you the equipment; do you have a maintenance contract that covers your particular problem? Or can they otherwise service this particular problem for you?

You can also contract with just about anyone to help you with various software issues on your Mac Pro. In all honesty, if you're getting the exact same response from two different versions of software, and it "just started out of the blue" as you describe, it seems like the only common thread here is your computer, not the CWS software. As well, understand that thanks to Apple, everyone has learned never to run the latest Mac OS in production until it's been out for at least a couple of years and had all the bugs and third party incompatibilities worked out. For 10 years now, this has been how things work with Mac OS; Apple makes changes in a vacuum without telling anyone and without following even their own guidelines they told third party developers to follow, and now it's up to the third parties to scramble to make their software function with the new Mac OS.

With respect to your computer setup maybe causing issues "out of the blue", the first thing any good Mac user learns to do is to create a brand new user and run the software under that profile. If that works, then it's your user profile causing CWS to crash; if it doesn't work, then the base Mac OS is causing CWS to crash. Start there and see what you get into.

When you say "everything was working fine and then one day it just started crashing," what changed between when it was working and when it started crashing on launch? I guarantee you, something did in fact change. You'll have to wrack your brains to figure it out maybe, but something did change. It may seem insignificantly small to you, but any change can cause something like this--and did. Hence my suggestion to use a fresh user profile without any customizations that may interfere.

Please note that I'm not with EFI; your demands for support from them, frankly, are demeaning. They don't own your Macintosh system and they didn't make any changes to it that would cause a functional CWS system to "suddenly start crashing on launch". They own exactly zero responsibility here, outside what they offer through their normal paid support mechanism. And even that probably won't fix your problem, because it's happening only on YOUR installation--and no one else's. All EFI can do is ensure that the software installed correctly and listen to your story and send it up to engineering to see if they know any circumstances under which CWS would crash on launch.

Do you have a paid support contract with EFI or your vendor for a situation like this? Do you have a paid support contract with anyone for your Mac?

steveclv is offline Senior Fiery Forum Contributor steveclv is on a distinguished path

Actually mine does the same thing - CWS 5.5 crashes at least twice a day on the Mac running 10.9.3

Seems like a common thread is appearing so it's more than likely to be a CWS issue than not.

Default Can you try the new release?

We have fixed many bugs in this release, including the one mentioned by Richo7 above.
    CWS 5.6 is available for download now.

And we have tested thoroughly on Mac 10.9.3, I'm running it myself personally too.

steveclv is offline Senior Fiery Forum Contributor steveclv is on a distinguished path

So far so good - 5.6 downloaded, installed and running and hasn't crashed yet on the Mac

Default mac minin OSx 10.9.4 not working with Command Workstation 5.6.04

I have tried several times to get this to work and still have the same problem. The Properties Button does nothing in Command Workstation.

I have followed all the instructions on removing and re-installing workstation and still have the same problem. Works fine on my imac running 10.8.5.

Any hope of an update that will fix the problem?

We are not seeing the problem you reported on 10.8 or 10.9.

Can you please let us know the following:

1. What Fiery make/model and version you are connecting to.
    2. How many paper catalog entries are present in the Fiery

Thanks,
    Greta.