Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Impose: Rendering errors?

oxident is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor oxident is on a distinguished path

Default Impose: Rendering errors?

Hi!

From time to time, I'm facing problems when using Impose to set up a simple "step and repeat"/gang-up job: Even if the preview within Impose looks fine, sometimes, objects and/or text elements get distorted (missing / misplaced).

Here is a sample:
    Name:  Unbenannt.PNG
Views: 912
Size:  43.8 KB

It's an excerpt of an A3 sheet, containing two identical A4 images. I've marked the problematic parts: The dark line should be completely around the green line ... but it isn't. It also looks quite strange that the defect is different between both images, although it's the same source page.

The job was saved as a flattened PDF (in order to save ripping time) out of the Impose Plugin. If I save it as a DBP file, everything's fine but the document takes a lot longer to rip.

So I guess that's a bug in the flattening engine, isn't it?

I'm using CWS 5.5.0.35 and Impose 4.5.0.27...
    IC-306 v3.01 FS100 Pro / KM C6000, IC-308 v2.1 FS150 Pro / KM C71hc / SD-513, IC-414 / KM C754
    CWS 5.8 SP2, Windows 10 x64

oxident is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor oxident is on a distinguished path

Here I've attached the original document (xx2.pdf) and the result of the imposition (xx2-imp.pdf).

In order to keep the file size small and because of privacy reasons, I've remove the text elements.
    Attached Images
    IC-306 v3.01 FS100 Pro / KM C6000, IC-308 v2.1 FS150 Pro / KM C71hc / SD-513, IC-414 / KM C754

Yes, there is a bug that causes this problem. Some elements when saved to PDF out of Impose (in CWS5.5) are not rendered properly, although when saved with a .dbp extension they are rendered properly. We have identified a problem, are working on a fix, and plan to make this part of the next version of CWS. I just tried your file on the version in development and it's working as I would expect.

Unfortunately, I don't have a specific release date to share right now. But we know what the problem is, and will have a solution to share soon.

-Mike

Hello Mike,
    thanks for your fast and informative answer. Good to know a solution is in progress
    In the meantime, do you lnow if I can still use features like APPE and color substitution when using the "DBP-Way"?

I believe you can use APPE with a job with the .dbp extension with your Fiery (I don't recall the details about color substitution). To know for sure, you can specify your desired settings and enable the Interpreter column in the Job Log.

If you specify that you prefer the job to print via APPE (in the Job Properties), the Fiery will attempt to process the job via APPE. If the Fiery cannot process the job via APPE because of a particular setting that is not supported by APPE, the Fiery will process the job via CPSI. The Interpreter column in the Job Log shows what interpreter is used for a particular job (PS for CPSI, PDF for APPE).

Hi Mike!

Do you have any idea what exactly causes these problems in the current version?
    I'm currently evaluating how urgently we need to change our "workflows" until the update arrives.

I mean, in the past, the problem occured approximately once every 20 jobs.

The way to save the impose results as flattened PDF is quite comfortable for us because it gives us a greater flexibility for the final output (setting page ranges, using mixed media, ...) so I would really like to stick at this workflow as long as possible.

I agree that flattening the impose jobs as .pdf files provides some additional flexibility, such as allowing the option to impose a job twice, and is a valuable workflow.

Yes, we know exactly what causes the problem. The bug we are fixing exists in some libraries we are using in the CWS application. My guess is it is more often seen with jobs that have transparencies, certain blends, or others of the interesting new features in the past couple releases of the Create Suite applications.

-Mike

Okay, thanks. Awaiting the next release ;-)

adam1991 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_R View Post
    I agree that flattening the impose jobs as .pdf files provides some additional flexibility, such as allowing the option to impose a job twice, and is a valuable workflow.

Yes, we know exactly what causes the problem. The bug we are fixing exists in some libraries we are using in the CWS application. My guess is it is more often seen with jobs that have transparencies, certain blends, or others of the interesting new features in the past couple releases of the Create Suite applications.

-Mike
    Sure. And I expect CWS and Fiery software in general to lag behind whatever the 800lb gorilla named Adobe does. As Adobe brings out "new features" for designers to use, those who are forced to manufacture print output based on those new features are the ones who get screwed.

I expect that.

Let's hope we don't have several years of lag the next time, though, between seeing the problem and fixing it in CWS.

New version tomorrow?

Quote Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
    New version tomorrow?
    Of course ... and a new PDF version just the day after :-(

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast