Thread: SNMP MIB / documentation

Default SNMP MIB / documentation

Is there an SNMP MIB for EFI Fiery controllers, or some sort of technical documentation?

I don't have much hope for a positive answer in the sense that I could just download it somewhere, as I've seen similar questions here that have gone unanswered. However, surely this must exist; is there a developer program or something similar that I could sign up to?

Thanks, Vaclav

thistlegorm is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status

Typically - a Fiery is connected to another device - i.e a printer ? so the SNMP / MIB typically passes through the Fiery to said device ?? also what are you hoping to achieve with this data ? & just so I can yet again ask for the same old data - any chance you could humour us with your setup / vendor / device / etc....?
    Remember you are what you eat ! I'm a twix..

Hi thistlegorm,
    I will admit at the outset to not being an expert on Fiery, but from what I understand, I think that these days, most of the time the Fiery controller is a box on the network that is separate from the printer, with both being accessible on their own separate IP addresses, right? (I have seen a situation with the printer only being "hidden behind" the Fiery and not directly accessible, but that was apparently quite an old model.)

Anyway, as for which vendor, device etc., I am hoping for a general solution (or as general as is feasible to achieve). Right now my primary focus is on Ricoh machines, and most specifically if I could get the documentation for a Ricoh MP C6501 with a Fiery e7200 that would be awesome, but having it for a newer model would help me as well. (I'm thinking about a customer who has that model currently but is thinking about upgrading.)

And as to what I'm hoping to achieve: basically, I am interested in things like making sure the user has money on their account to print their job, monitoring to see when it is RIPping and when the job is already flowing to the printer, and then billing the user. I do know that there is an interface to obtain a log that is usable for billing purposes, but I also need to monitor what happens before, to block the money on the user's account.

It's perfectly possible that what I want just isn't there (or there is, but not via SNMP), but surely there must be some sort of technical (developer's, perhaps) documentation from EFI that would answer those questions, and I just want to know how to get at it.

Thanks.

To make this a more general solution you might consider doing it at the print spool level, rather than at the Fiery. Grab the job from the print spool before it even makes it to the Fiery - if the user has a balance left on their account, let the print continue on its way, if it doesn't, block it from entering the print spool folder. I don't think you'd need to make this solution specific to the Fiery. Any MIB info would be directly at the printer.

The downside to this is it wouldn't block reprinting at all, since these jobs don't go back through the print spooler. Hope this helps!