Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mixed media for duplex jobs inconsistent...

oxident is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor oxident is on a distinguished path

Default Mixed media for duplex jobs inconsistent...

Hi!

I know it has been asked before but I would really like to hear if the inconsistency between page and sheet when using mixed media could be addressed somewhen.

It's quite annoying that the page ranges in the mixed media tab sometimes refer to "sheets" instead of "pages" (as it should be).

Often I need to print a booklet (imposed and flattened using SeeQuence) where only the cover sheet should be printed in color. I can define CMYK printmode for page 1 but then, the inside page of the cover sheet also gets printed in CMYK.

Fixing this in the source PDF isn't an option because some documents are so complex, none of my tools (Pitstop, Quite) can handle this conversion.
    IC-306 v3.01 FS100 Pro / KM C6000, IC-308 v2.1 FS150 Pro / KM C71hc / SD-513, IC-414 / KM C754
    CWS 5.8 SP2, Windows 10 x64

adam1991 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful

First off, please advise as to how you're using Mixed Media to specify CMYK vs grayscale. That's not available in Fiery, is it?

Anyway, this isn't hard--at least from what I can remember. The only time I've seen Fiery differentiate "pages" vs "sheets" was quite awhile back, when using Impose and saving the files as a .dbp file. At that point the Fiery was smart enough to know that you've imposed it and changed the Mixed Media and Print Page Range sections to talk to sheets instead of pages.

Nowadays, Impose--which is what you're using--saves as PDF. No need to use the .dbp file mechanism, and I don't use it at all anymore. What happens if you save as a fully imposed/composed PDF right into the Fiery?

Worst case, save the imposed file outside the Fiery as a PDF, then bring it back in. There's some funkiness that goes away when you do that, funkiness that hangs around if you simply save the PDF straight into the Fiery itself.

oxident is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor oxident is on a distinguished path

Quote Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
    First off, please advise as to how you're using Mixed Media to specify CMYK vs grayscale. That's not available in Fiery, is it?
    Actually, this function is available on all of my Fierys with version 8 and later. Just add an exception in the mixed media tab and choose an explicit color mode (CMYK or greyscale) instead of "document default".

Anyway, this isn't hard--at least from what I can remember. The only time I've seen Fiery differentiate "pages" vs "sheets" was quite awhile back, when using Impose and saving the files as a .dbp file. At that point the Fiery was smart enough to know that you've imposed it and changed the Mixed Media and Print Page Range sections to talk to sheets instead of pages.

Nowadays, Impose--which is what you're using--saves as PDF. No need to use the .dbp file mechanism, and I don't use it at all anymore. What happens if you save as a fully imposed/composed PDF right into the Fiery?
    Well, I almost never save the imposition result as .dbp because I don't want to loose APPE functionality on the one hand and reduce processing time on the other hand. The problem does exist when saving as a fully imposed PDF!

Worst case, save the imposed file outside the Fiery as a PDF, then bring it back in. There's some funkiness that goes away when you do that, funkiness that hangs around if you simply save the PDF straight into the Fiery itself.
    Yes, then it works, of course. But if you're in a hurry or you need to explain certain tasks to other people in your company, it's just bad to explain them which bugs they have to think about. Needless to say that this also disables any possibility to use pre-defined, automated workflows (which is one of the Fiery's key features) :-(
    IC-306 v3.01 FS100 Pro / KM C6000, IC-308 v2.1 FS150 Pro / KM C71hc / SD-513, IC-414 / KM C754

adam1991 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful

I must be thinking that it's impossible to define side 1 as color and side 2 as grayscale, then.

Well, that would be a great problem :-(

When you consider how many booklets are made--color covers, black guts--it's important to be able to make the inside covers black only.

But you can't do that on Fiery.

You *can* do that on other, non-Fiery systems...

Ok, that's a pity but as always in my job, I'm going to find workarounds.

But it would certainly be a good feature request, either for the Fiery system itself or for the GA-Package (IV could be enhanced to support a CMYK->K conversion, couldn't it?).

Just forgot to mention that this problem also affects regular (non-booklet) documents:
    Sometimes, I get PDF files where the customer tells me: "Print everything b/w except pages x,y,z,..."

Normally, that's an easy thing using Mixed Media exceptions but as soon as the job itself should be printed in duplex, I can't use this function anymore because I want to refer to pages and not sheets

Sorry, found another variant of this bug:

If I use Impose to set up a duplex gang-up job with a different kind of paper types, I select the relevant pages/sheets in the Impose window and everything looks quite "logically" (and correct) but when printing the job, it get's screwed again.

Example:
    I have a 10 pages duplex document and I want the first and the last sheet to be printed on heavy stock paper. First I select the correct duplex option and then I define a different paper type for the first and the last two pages. Impose correctly shows this media type below those pages.
    When I print the job, the first two sheets (!) get printed on this different paper and the rest of the job, including the last sheet, will be printed on regular paper

Sorry to push this thread but it would be great if this could be addressed in the future.

Basically, at the moment, the Mixed Media feature is nearly useless for duplex jobs :-(

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast