Thread: Serious banding and transperancy issues

Default Serious banding and transperancy issues

Hi everyone. I just switched from Creo to Fiery cws 5.5. Ever since I made the switch I keep running into serious banding and transparency issues. In fact almost all of the projects brought to my shop since the transition have had some degree of issue. It's getting to be a serious problem. I've been printing digitally now on my xerox 700 for three years and have never had so many messed up gradients or transparency boxes. Whats most frustrating is in many of the cases the customer was able to give me the source file and everything looks fine. Has any one else run into this? Any advice or good places to look for info? Anything would be appreciated.
    The gradients are often broken into multiple (two to be specific) gradients. Usually the break in gradient is perpendicular to the flow of the gradient. So in other words if the gradient was moving horizontal it would be broken in to two gradients staked on another.
    As for the transparency issue it seems to occur anytime any object is placed above another. It doesn't seem to matter if the image was made in Illustrator or Photoshop or if it is a Indesign file that contains outside art. It also doesn't seem to matter if the image is flattened or not.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. Shop has ground to a stand still trying to figure this out.

Hi Gordon,
    1st off, there's a couple of setting in CWS you could try. In CWS under properties/color try turning on Composite Overprint as well as some of the other settings. If that does'nt help, I'd like to get samples of both the gradient and transparency files.
    Thanks, Craig

Thanks for the reply Craig,

I have tried the composite overprint with very little luck. The only thing I see that the composite overprint helps with is if the file has overprint that drops out. Other than that I haven't seen it make a big difference when it comes to the semi transparent boxes that appear around objects or gradients.

If you like I can send you some of the files that I am referring to. Just tell me how or where. Thank you again. This transition from Creo to Fiery has been rough.

When you reply to this thread, you can attach the files, just scroll down a bit. If you're uncomfortable attaching in the Forum, you can send a private e-mail

All right here are two simple versions of things I am having trouble printing. The one with the puppies the problem is the puppy on the purple back ground has a semi transparent box around it.

the second file is a back ground for a book I am printing. The gradient on the bottom breaks about two thirds up from the bottom and changes color when printed. I tried to send the original .ai for this image but this system wont let me. If you need the raw ai file I can email it to you.
    Thanks for taking a look at these
    Attached Images

Thanks Gordon, I've passed your files on to the color engineers. I'll let you know if they have any suggestions

Thanks Craig I really appreciate all your help. On the job learning with theses kinds of issues was getting me a little panicked. If I could I would like to share one more file. This is a good example of the transparency issue. You'll notice around the illustration of the boy and the pig there is a box that is darker than the rest. It only shows up when you print.

Thanks again for all your help. My customers, boss and I really appreciate it. This one of the reason fiery is so much better than creo

Oops, looks like I cant attach this one. There must be a file size limit. can I email it to you.

I sent you a private message

Hi Gordon,
    Could you ask the customer to scan or take a picture of the bad output and send it to us? We're in the middle of the move and I'm not sure when we'll systems up and running to try on and it's easier to recognize without printing if we know what to look for in the raster. Also, please include a copy of the Fiery configuration page. You can send it to my e-mail address.
    Thanks,