Thread: Grayscale image printing as 'color' clicks. Canon 7260 with a Fiery A2

Default Grayscale image printing as 'color' clicks. Canon 7260 with a Fiery A2

I've had a Canon and fiery for about 4 years, before that it was a Ricoh and a fiery controller. So this isn't like I'm trying something new.

I can replicate this problem in CorelDraw AND in Acrobat.

As expected:
    If I have a page of vector objects and they are various shades of gray, it prints as a black 'click'
    If I have a page with a CMYK or RGB vector or raster image it prints as a color click.

Not as expected:
    If i set up a new document with a raster image, and set the image to a gray scale color space it prints as a color click. It should print as a black page.
    If I set up a new document with a raster image, and set the image to a black and white color space it prints as a color click. It should also print as a black page.

I first found this problem this morning. As long as the objects being printed are vector, it prints as expected. If ANY object is rasterized that's when the system acts in an unexpected way.

I have also experienced this problem in Acrobat even when the color properties show only black is being used in the document. I have adjusted settings in the applications, in the printer preferences (Grayscale section of the basic and expert color settings) AND on the server itself. Nothing has corrected this.

Any ideas? If you have any question ask.

Default Application Color Management

Hi Mike,

Based on your description I suspect the application's color management is converting the grayscale images into CMYK gray. Check for a color management field and select an option that leaves color unchanged in the source file.

Another are to check is if the image data is tagged with an ICC profile. In this case you want a selection that ignores embedded profiles when printing through the application's print settings.
    Matt Mikkelsen-Pope

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_MP View Post
    Check for a color management field and select an option that leaves color unchanged in the source file.
    I have. through Acrobat, I've tried Adobe color management, no color management and printer color management with no difference.

Another are to check is if the image data is tagged with an ICC profile. In this case you want a selection that ignores embedded profiles when printing through the application's print settings.
    I'm not using any ICC profiles.

All good questions.

Default Check for Image Enhance

Hi Mike,

Our investigation in a private thread concluded that Image Enhance was enabled in the Fiery print driver and caused pages that should have printed as a black and white click to be converted to CMYK and counted as a color click.
    Matt Mikkelsen-Pope

Smile The Answer!

Our investigation in a private thread concluded that Image Enhance was enabled in the Fiery print driver and caused pages that should have printed as a black and white click to be converted to CMYK and counted as a color click.

I'm not sure if there is a 'mark as answer' but yes, this is the solution! Thanks Matt!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ver Duin View Post
    I'm not sure if there is a 'mark as answer' but yes, this is the solution! Thanks Matt!
    Same model and issue..... on mine this is unchecked.... I can't get into Expert settings as they are greyed out... MACOSX

Default Print Driver or Job Properties

Hi,

Are you using the Print Driver or did you import the job through Command Workstation? If you are using the Print Driver, do you have two-way communication enabled?
    Matt Mikkelsen-Pope

Via the print driver..... Bi directional is enabled.