Thread: Fiery Server suddenly hangs on startup

Default Fiery Server suddenly hangs on startup

Hello,
    I apologize in advance if I don't provide all the necessary information, but I'm neither a server technician nor an experienced digital press operator.

Printer: MGI Meteor DP60 Pro (which I'm told uses the KM c6500 engine)
    Server: Fiery Server Pro80-11 with Windows XP Embedded
    The server has never had CWS installed directly on it. It is plugged in to a UPS that reports no recent power interruptions

We printed fine all day Friday and shut down at the end of the day. The shut down we always do is from the LCD screen on the server itself. This morning (Monday) I came in and powered everything on as I always do only to find the server suddenly hanging on startup. I hooked up a monitor, keyboard and mouse to watch the boot process. It first asks to select an OS: "Windows XP Embedded" and "Windows XP Embedded (VGA Mode)" are my choices. At this screen I pushed F8 to get to Boot options. I selected Safe Mode to see the boot info. The machine starts loading all the drivers and then hangs on "CLASSPNP.sys." I also attempted to boot to last known good configuration, which yields a different result on the screen but still not a successful boot. The Windows logo splashes for a moment, then the monitor just goes black and never progresses.

This same problem happened a few months ago (shutdown Fri, hangs on CLASSPNP.sys Mon at startup) and that time the print technician just ran the install disk and wiped the server, because that is the extent of his knowledge of servers. I know this is a way to get the server running again, but I'm hoping for a solution that doesn't wipe the server.

The only thing I can think of is an incompatible Windows Update. All of the rest of our Windows machines seem to have had automatic Windows updates applied since Friday. I can't remember if this was the case last time we had the problem and I have no idea if the Fiery server was configured to perform automatic Windows updates. I was not involved in the installation or configuration of the server. If this were the case, would there be a way to uninstall the updates?

Anybody have any advice or experience with this particular startup issue? Is there a way to get the system booted just to make sure everything is backed up before wiping the system?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you all in advance.
    -J

If a VGA monitor is connected, normal behavior for this Fiery when it boots is that the Windows XP splash appears momentarily, then that screen goes black.

If a KM customer wanted to have monitor / keyboard / mouse functionality, they would order the Fiery with a "FACI" kit option

I am not familiar with the MGI Meteor DP60 Pro, but suspect it does not have this option.

Also, by default, this Fiery will not automatically download and install Microsoft security patches.
    So I doubt if this issue is related to Windows security patches. Still, you need to discuss this with MGI's technician. Ask them to confirm if they configure the Fiery to automatically download and install security patches.

This Fiery is equivalent to the KM IC-305 Fiery controller.
    A user or technician does NOT use Microsoft Windows Update to install security patches on this Fiery.

Instead, they run the Fiery's System Updates utility, either from "FACI" or using Remote Desktop from another Windows client.

It sounds as if the Fiery's system software is getting corrupted, or perhaps the HDD is failing.

Thank you for the reply. I guess our biggest problem lies with our MGI technician, then. He doesn't know anything about the computer end of the process. Apparently he's only mechanically inclined. As it stands, he is off-site but waiting for a callback from the manufacturer (he is the local dealer's technician).

Ruling out Microsoft updates, corrupt OS and bad HDD both seem like plausible options. In addition to this specific problem, we have had to reload the system software 5-6 time over the last 18 months. For nearly all of those we were told that we must've imported a bad file. I'm quite new to the world of digital printing, but a single PDF bringing down a whole server beyond the point of recovery has always seemed unlikely to me.

All that said, the question remains; is there a way to get the server back up, if only temporarily?