Thread: Fusion Pro - best compose file type for fiery

Default Fusion Pro - best compose file type for fiery

Just starting to use Fusion Pro and was wondering if anyone has tested the different compose file types for use on a Fiery. I was looking at PDF and PPML and which may be faster/better.

Any help would be great thanks.

adam1991 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful

Depends on your design. VPS rocks, but it's old school--it's Postscript. But, it does understand booklets--even variable length--and if you have a system that can do subset finishing, that rocks.

Overall, though, unless you've carefully designed your piece--or if you're not in charge of the design of the VI pieces you're printing--you may find Postscript lacking in its ability to represent the design elements of today. In that case, starting with a well-built PDF and outputting PDF is probably your most reliable method, although it may not be the fastest (and depending on your system, it may not even be as reliable as you like).

Many people use PDF nowadays because they can soft proof it and it runs on anything. VPS and PPML require systems that can handle those streams.

There's a new output stream, PDF/VT. It's still PDF pages and RIPs at the same speed as regular PDF, but it also contains knowledge of records and record length, which is different than regular PDF. This gives it the same power for subset finishing as VPS has with its knowledge of records and record length.

Fiery servers have many capabilties for handling output from Fusion Pro.

Oh--and let's not forget Fiery Freeform.

Based on some testing I've done it's saver to stick with PPML and VPS when dealing with Fusion Pro. Their PDF/VT implementation is... "not optimal".

adam1991 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful

That wouldn't surprise me. PDF/VT is fairly new to the world.

Make plain PDF, or make PPML or VPS.

Thanks this gives me direction to help my customer