Thread: Substitute Colors feature to omit cmyk or Spots

Default Substitute Colors feature to omit cmyk or Spots

I'm trying to configure Hot Folders to handle business cards...the lost leader, whored out, price-gouged market destroying scurge of the day.
    Some files, I could process as is, but many of my files have two caveats -
    Situation 1 - We have offset printed cmyk sheets. We typeset imprints (name and specific info) using (InDesign) Black copy, essentially a spot color swatch, value 0,0,0,100.

The pdf proof files contain all the cmyk previously printed - it helps the customer to see the actual card rather than just the imprint data, and this card could be used for full imaging if we decide to stop printing the master shells.
    How can I force Fiery RIP to print only the Spot Black?

Situation 2 - We have offset printed Spot color logo and imprint black from pdf proofs. All these files basically have 0,0,0,100 + Spot.
    How can I force Fiery RIP to omit the Spot and only print the Black?

CWS 5.3.1
    Fiery sys 9
    Basically, the whole Fiery productivity package.

adam1991 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful

First off, let's address the logical issue of what you're calling "essentially a spot color". What you actually have is a 0,0,0,100 CMYK mix--which is not, technically speaking, a spot color.

Unless, of course, it's called out as a named color. That's the precise definition to use here: named color.

With substitute colors, you can translate a CMYK mix--vector only--to a spot definition. So that's good.

But what you're asking is, can the Fiery be told never to print part of the page that *isn't* a named color or that isn't a specified substitute color? The answer is that the Fiery has no specific defined feature to do that.

Best case, if you know that the rest of the page is vector images, and you know the definitions of those colors, maybe you could use the substitute color feature to redefine those as 0,0,0,0. I dunno, never tried that. But that's not a real solution, as you don't know necessarily what those colors would be on any job, so you can't really have a list of substitute colors ready at hand. Plus, your jobs probably will include raster art, which isn't covered in this scenario.

I think I'm expecting the Fiery to perform what would be normal traditional print operations that the developers/engineers would never have expected.

Q - Why would you pre-run sheets on press?
    A - Because it saves $$$. I can imprint black for pennies.

Yes, in my art files the Black copy is a named spot color which has a value of 0,0,0,100

I'm only dealing with my own local files which are complete vector copy. (Yes, I'm aware that flattening could step in and rasterize regions).

adam1991 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful

Of *course* it's expected that you'll run shells through your digital machine.

But the expectation, and the practice for many years, is that you'll create and run only the imprint plates you want to imprint--and that the "data" file you print onto the shells doesn't include the shell data.

What are you using to create your imprint data? I know of no mechanism that *requires* that you include the shell imagery in order to create the imprint data...

If you're typing black name info onto an InD page that also contains the shell information, may I assume that you're doing it this way to ensure compliance with the shell design--to make sure you have everything in the right place?

If that's what you're doing, this is easy: make the shell imagery on one layer, but put the versioned name/etc stuff on another layer. Print it/export it, but without the shell imagery layer. Voila. No Fiery magic required.