Thread: Publisher Spot Color incorrect

Hybrid View

Default Publisher Spot Color incorrect

I am having a problem with MS Publisher 2013 when printing Pantone 485C. The color appears as a brick red, instead of the red it should be. I have adjusted Pantone 485 Coated (second edition) in the Fiery to be the color that we wish to see printed. When printing the file, the color is brick red. I would appreciate some help figuring out what I am doing wrong. Thank you.

oxident is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor oxident is on a distinguished path

Maybe Publisher somehow converts spot colors to CMYK. Export the file as PDF and use Acrobat's output preview function in order to check that your spot color is still defined as spot color. Then simply push this PDF to the Fiery...
    IC-306 v3.01 FS100 Pro / KM C6000, IC-308 v2.1 FS150 Pro / KM C71hc / SD-513, IC-414 / KM C754
    CWS 5.8 SP2, Windows 10 x64

adam1991 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful

There's no "maybe" about it. It's very easy to test this using the spot color editor. You'll find that Publisher is not creating the spot color when it prints.

This is very, very well known. Ping some Publisher forums out there and find out how to make Publisher:

a) send RGB data
    b) send CMYK data
    c) send spot color data
    d) send black data

all in the same print job/PDF.

Hint: it can't.

Publisher can't do what you want, therefore you'll have to find a different tool. If you insist on using Publisher, you'll have to accept its limited feature set.

oxident is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor oxident is on a distinguished path

Sorry, can't test it in mspub 2013 but the export function of earlier versions did indeed produce PDFs with spot colors!

I didn't test the print (to Fiery/to Adobe PDF) function because I don't trust them in Office applications ;-)

But adam1991 is right: If you have the ability to choose an application, stick to the Adobe suite or Corel...
    IC-306 v3.01 FS100 Pro / KM C6000, IC-308 v2.1 FS150 Pro / KM C71hc / SD-513, IC-414 / KM C754
    CWS 5.8 SP2, Windows 10 x64

adam1991 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful

my point was, the Fiery can ingest and work fully and independently with all four color spaces in a document--but Publisher can't actually generate all of that in one document.

Whatever you do in Publisher, the output will be a compromise of some sort.

And given that Publisher is just another part of the Office suite, it's designed around RGB--spots are WAY out of its league, and any CMYK it may do is iffy at best.

Publisher was designed around printing to desktop inkjet printers.

thistlegorm is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status

Hi Mameral,

If you go into your Spot Colour Library & right click on PANTONE 485 Coated & print an 8 x 8 swatch, Do you get the colour that you are expecting ? If you do get the correct colour - then it might be that either the job is not asking for that colour ? or the colour workflow within the job properties is not set as it should be..?

You haven't said which Fiery DFE you have ? do you have the Graphic Arts Premium kit installed - this has a very handy tool called image viewer - in which you can Process & Hold the job & view in Image viewer then mouse over the area of the image where you are expecting to see the spot & it will tell you...

You could also use the preview button & open in Acrobat & again utilise the Pitstop Eyedropper to see whether your file is actually calling for the spot..

Within Job properties - Colour Tab - Basic is the Spot Colour tick Box selected ? in which case only the calibration will be applied to the output... or if it is unticked it will force the spot through the output profile which again would change the output colour..
    Remember you are what you eat ! I'm a twix..