Thread: Updated CWS 5.5 will not calibrate

Default Updated CWS 5.5 will not calibrate

Sent this to tech support

"We just downloaded the new CWS 5.5.0.16 on Friday. After this update we have been unable to calibrate from the CWS. We get to where it print the calibration sheet just fine. Then when we hit ok it says Device Error and will not proceed. It goes right back to the screen to print the calibration sheet (which we now have 20 of). Is there a way to fix this? Our EFI Fiery driver is version 4.4 (Attached is a screenshot of the driver version window). We are using a Xerox C75 press"

I was told that I had to post to the forums for Support so here goes.

We were using the Included Calibration with the previous version of CWS 5 just fine but this new one just gives the Device Error. Also of not is that we do have both Java 6 and Java 7.

Name:  EFI Driver Version.png
Views: 3895
Size:  94.8 KB

thistlegorm is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status

Some questions -

Have you loaded CWS 5.5 on the Fiery itself or on a client workstation ? Also are you using an ES2000 Spectro or calibrating off the glass?

Have you calibrated successfully with the previous CWS which was loaded ? if a Spectro ? Does it find it's driver successfully when you plug into the Fiery / Workstation?
    Remember you are what you eat ! I'm a twix..

Thank You thistlegorm for the quick response. I will answer the questions as best I can.

**Have you loaded CWS 5.5 on the Fiery itself or on a client workstation ?

CWS 5.5 is loaded onto a PC and a MAC, so I guess these would be Clients. We get the same message "Device Error" at the same point on both machines. The Xerox C75 has an integrated Fiery.

When Xerox installed the Machine earlier this year (I think it was in April) they also installed the version of CWS 5 we were using.

**Also are you using an ES2000 Spectro or calibrating off the glass?

We are not using ES2000. We have been using the CWS built in calibration tool, so we use the sheet the C75 prints out when we try to calibrate (so off the glass).

**Have you calibrated successfully with the previous CWS which was loaded ?

Yes we were successfully calibrating with the previous version of CWS 5, using the built in calibration tool, every Friday.

**if a Spectro ?

No. Just with the sheet the built in calibration tool printed out.

**Does it find it's driver successfully when you plug into the Fiery / Workstation?

Yes. We can print to the C75 and use the other features of the CWS. Like Process and hold, preview, change print settings per job, etc...

NOTE: We have also uninstalled and re-installed CWS on both computers and it is still erroring out at the same spot. The point when you go back to the computer and click ok so that CWS will (is suppose to) obtain the measurements.

thistlegorm is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status

OK -

My next question would be since it worked on the previously installed version of CWS ( 5.4.0.77 - that is a guess - I installed one on Monday ???? ).

NOTE: We have also uninstalled and re-installed CWS on both computers and it is still erroring out at the same spot. The point when you go back to the computer and click ok so that CWS will (is suppose to) obtain the measurements
    Are you reinstalling CWS 5.5 ? or are you drawing down from the Fiery's embedded webpage in the download tab the version of CWS that comes with the machine???

To fill up the post - I will assume the former..? if it were me I would uninstall the 5.5 & reinstall the previous version & confirm correct operation - unfortunately with a forum that can be accessed around the world, advice that can be given with knowledge of one country, might not be at all relevant in another..? I am in the UK - if your device works with the version that comes with the device & not with CWS 5.5 & you have a Service Agreement with Xerox - then raise a software call - they should be able to replicate the issue & move it forward.

However I am mindful that thing's work differently in other Countries - so I am not sure whether my advice helps in your situation..?
    Remember you are what you eat ! I'm a twix..

thistlegorm, Thank you again for the quick responses. I will try to contact Xerox here and see what they say also.

We installed/re-installed CWS 5.5 from the file we downloaded from efi.com

I have recommended to boss to reinstall the previous version (CWS 5.4), and will probably be doing so tomorrow.

Default Device Error

Have the same problem with CWS 5.5.0.16i on 2 different Mac's (10.6.8) and a Win7 box. Calibrator opens, prints the page and when you select continue Calibration crashes with a Device Error. One of the Mac's and the Win7 were fresh loads of anything Fiery related. But if I use 5.4 I can calibrate no problem. This is on a Xerox 560 with EX570 RIP using Colorcal. Has anyone found a solution since this first post way back in July?