Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: IC306: "PDF Rip failure" when physical RAM is exhausted?

oxident, I just sent you a private message

manyfaces is offline Senior Fiery Forum Contributor manyfaces is on a distinguished path

I haven't looked at RAM usage but I can say that I've noticed some interesting things regarding how much time it takes to process jobs with cached data. And my experiences have been that a longer processing time often corresponds to increased RAM usage.

In particular, jobs which use cache data (some PDFs and a lot of VDP) often take a lot longer to process when my compression settings are "normal" when compared to when they are "best."

This seemed at first sort of counter intuitive. But thinking about it it makes some sense. If I'm already optimizing my data by cacheing it, adding extra compression steps isn't really needed anymore.

Of course, this could very well be a bug. But since I can print faster at best quality than normal, I'm not complaining.

oxident is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor oxident is on a distinguished path

Unhappy Possible memory leaks?

Well, after observing this issue for a few weeks now, I've found out that there has to be some kind of memory leak.

Normally, we won't turn off or reboot our IC-306v2 and therefore it's running 24/7. The "PDF rip failure" error occurs more often if the Fiery hasn't been rebooted for some days.

As an example, today I've set up a simple brochure job using Impose, saving the result as flattened PDF on the Fiery. The resulting print job has 16 pages and doesn't look very complex. I've tried to rip it but the process failed after page 4 was finished. Then, I simply removed the raster data, rebooted the Fiery and immediately re-processed the job. And it ripped "fast and fine"...
    IC-306 v3.01 FS100 Pro / KM C6000, IC-308 v2.1 FS150 Pro / KM C71hc / SD-513, IC-414 / KM C754
    CWS 5.8 SP2, Windows 10 x64

Curious...
    When was this v2.0 system reloaded from scratch?

You say that it is fully patched.

Was System Updates used to install patches? And if so, did you select check boxes in that utility for all available patches - and continue to run iterations of System Updates until all available patches were installed?

Or were you picking just some of patches to install?
    (or were you installing patches manually by running .exe patch files?)

The reason I'm asking this is that the week of Aug 12th, EFI found (and corrected) two issues with System Updates that **could possibly** cause side effects on v2.0 IC-306's that were System Updated between April and early August of this year.

I would suggest rebuild from scratch, then re-running System Updates so that all of it's patches are installed in order shown. Don't forget to also run Microsoft updates on it as well. Then use Fiery Clone Tool to save a backup image of this new configuration.

Does your Rip error occur afterwards?

oxident is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor oxident is on a distinguished path

Thanks for your quick reply!

Well, the system was reloaded a month ago or so. Updates were all applied so far.
    There is one thing I've discovered while taking screenshots:

The missing lines are indeed visible when using APPE but they were way to thin and maybe because of that the printer refuses to print them.

It's curious that the same lines print well on similar pages...
    IC-306 v3.01 FS100 Pro / KM C6000, IC-308 v2.1 FS150 Pro / KM C71hc / SD-513, IC-414 / KM C754

Sorry to bump this topic again. Today I've been running into those "pdf rip problems" several times and it really slowed my entire production workflow down

Isn't there somekind of log file or more informative error message available somewhere on the Fiery?

I mean, the message "pdf rip failure" when using APPE or simply stopping the RIP process after half of the pages without any error (if APPE is disabled) is quite unproductive...

Default Send a Job Error Report

Oxident,

Could you take the job that is failing on RIP, and generate an error report for us? This will tell us more about what is happening.

To create a job error report from CWS
    Win: Hold down CTRL while right clicking on the job, and select Create job error report.
    Mac: Hold down COMMAND while right clicking on the job, select Create job error report.

Type in the steps to reproduce the problem, and click save.

Then send us a link to download the file for testing. dropbox links are welcome.

G.

Hello Greta,

thanks for your help! I would really like to send you the link to the shared folder containing those diagnostic packages but unfortunately, you mailbox seems to be full.

Maybe you can ask your admin to get some more space (just kiddin...)

Try again mate, just cleared some room

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2