Thread: Greyed out menu items

Default Greyed out menu items

I always have greyed out menu items (such as merge jobs). Why is that? Image attached

Name:  greyout.png
Views: 1084
Size:  95.6 KB

Not knowing what model Fiery you have and what features have been purchased, it is difficult to be able to address all the greyed selections.

Typically when a feature or option is greyed out it means the system or workflow does not support this. Example, for Merge Jobs, Documents to be merged into one job in Merge Jobs must be either PostScript or PDF format. In your screen shot you have two DOCX files highlighted. These can not be used to merge.

Also note, that when documents are merged into a Merge job, all Job Properties settings for the individual documents are overwritten and default to the Fiery print controller default settings. You must set Job Properties after you have combined the separate documents into the single Merge job.

Items such as Impose, Compose and Job Master are software that can be purchased either from your local sales company or from EFI's e-Store https://estore.efi.com/shop/default.aspx

Randy

In regards to the non-PDF/non-PS files. If I select the documents (docx in this case) and "process" they becomes PS files, correct? *Then* can I merge the documents?

8e release 2 is my version of Fiery (if I am correct). If I only have pdfs in the queue, it still does not give me the ability to merge jobs.
    Last edited by m2; 06-05-2013 at 01:04 PM.

The files with the docx extension may be word files that have been printed, using the Fiery driver. In this case, they are already in PS format. Ripping jobs does not cause them to become PS (PostScript) format. To create jobs in PostScript just print them using the Fiery driver to the Fiery hold or print queue.

The merge jobs feature is only available on Fiery external servers, not on embedded Fierys. If your Fiery is Sys8eR2 then it's an embedded Fiery, and will not support this feature.

However, you can still combine pages of ripped jobs together, to make one big job.
    To do this, process and hold two jobs, then open them both in preview. Drag the pages of one job down onto the job below. Just be aware that any changes to the job (like in job properties) after merge will cause the job to rerip, so your merged pages will be lost.

So normally I'd get all my job properties set first, then rip and hold, then merge, then print.

Hope this helps!

- G.