Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Request for specific Postscript Commands for Xerox 700i with External Fiery Server

Default Request for specific Postscript Commands for Xerox 700i with External Fiery Server

Hello,

My goal is to compile a postscript file that tells the printer which tray or trays specifically to pull paper from, as well as (not necessarily at the same time) make booklets when I tell it to, via the postscript stream.

I am using Printsoft Pres IDE 6.1.1 to compile.

First issue is I need to be able to pull paper from any of the trays on demand, for example two separate 8.5x11 sheets, one being 100lb Cover and the other 60lb Text. Pres has a TRAY command, but the EFI Fiery does not recognize it and ignores it. I do have the capability to inject the specific postscript code to make it pull paper from any tray on demand, but only if I had the specific code to do so. I was wondering if anyone can supply that code.

The other issue, if it can be done, is I need the postscript code to command the printer to make a booklet on demand. For example, let's say I have a job with 100 recipients. Each recipient will receive a booklet of variable pages of two to four Ledger sized pages stapled, and folded down the center. I need to know the code to tell the printer when to make a booklet out of a variable set of pages on demand. Pres also has a BOOKLET command, but again, as with the TRAY command, the Fiery does not recognize it and completely ignores it.

So far I have called both Printsoft and Xerox Customer support. Printsoft was unable to come up with a solution. Xerox was also unable supply a solution and even referred me to use the EFI forums to request the "PDL Guides for Fiery Systems 8 or 9"

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. The higher priority would be the Tray call issue, since this is a feature we use on our AFPDS printers on a regular basis, and customers are beginning to ask when we can do full color with two types of paper.

I have a Xerox DP700i controlled by a Xerox 700i Color EX Fiery Server. The printer has a HCF tray option and a booklet maker option installed.

Information from the Server Configuration page on the Device Center on the EFI Command Workstation 5:
    Product Xerox 700 Color EX Server
    Version 1.0_SP1
    Software 10

I will supply any more information required if I have not provided enough.

Thank you for any advice and time supplied.

Ken Post
    Variable Print Programmer
    AB Data, LTD.
    J200 Fiery connected to Canon ImagePress 1125
    Using Command Workstation v5
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    Version 1.0_SP1
    Software 10

thistlegorm is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status

Hi Ken,

Since you have a System 10 box - get into the Configure Screen - Normally "Device Centre " Tab & follow the buttons & drop to the bottom - you should see SPD.. you will need to tick the box & then reboot, that way you should be able to map PS tray calls to the Fiery Trays.. you should see within the job ticket a SPD, from there you will need to "follow your nose" - this is new for System 10 - if that doesn't work - print to file & pull out the EFI PS code from the prn file - Whilst Fiery follows Adobe Red Book - that does not translate to tray calls - the SPD should fix your problem - suffice to say we had a working solution with Xerox VIPP which utilised EFI tray calls on a System 8 box & it worked.. if your's does not, re-post & I will send you a PM..
    Last edited by thistlegorm; 07-17-2012 at 05:23 PM.
    Remember you are what you eat ! I'm a twix..

Thank you thistlegorm,

I found the SPD option, checked the enable box and rebooted.

How do I “map PS tray calls to the Fiery Trays.” What is the actual Postscript code to do this? So that I can inject this command/code into my postscript file I spool with my Printsoft Pres IDE compiler?

Thank you,
    --Ken
    Version 1.0_SP1
    Software 10

z1300 is offline Senior Fiery Forum Contributor z1300 is on a distinguished path

> Open the Properties of the job.

> Go to the "Media" tab

> Check the box "Use Set Page Device Media Mapping"

> Select "Settings" then "Add"

> Map your "Type" or "Color" to a paper catalogue entry

thistlegorm is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status

Beat me to it..

Obviously you can set this at a queue level for your PReS jobs... if that doesn't work you could try encoding direct - so under your SetPage Device call you could insert the Fiery Call:

<< /XJXsetmediatypeV2 [ 199 ] /XJXsettrayselV2 [5] /XJXsetpagesize [(LEFLetter)] >> XJXEFIsetpageproperties

adjust your page size accordingly.

Tray 1 = /XJXsettrayselV2 [ 1 }
    Tray 2 = /XJXsettrayselV2 [ 4 ]
    Tray 3 = /XJXsettrayselV2 [ 5 ]
    Tray 4 = /XJXsettrayselV2 [ 20 ]
    Tray 5 = /XJXsettrayselV2 [ 21 ]
    Tray 6 = /XJXsettrayselV2 [ 22 ]
    Tray 6 = /XJXsettrayselV2 [ 23 ] - (Oversized)

This worked on a system 8 DC252 so I think it should still hold on the EX700i..

Let us know if it works...
    Remember you are what you eat ! I'm a twix..

Encoding direct is exactly what I am looking for, thank you. I will try this out and consult Printsoft for assistance in inserting this into my compiler code.

I'll be sure to let you guys know how it works out.
    Version 1.0_SP1
    Software 10

Hello,

I am not absolutely sure on how to implement this into my Printsoft Pres IDE program, but using my basic knowledge of what I did to get our Canon to pull separate types paper from 2 different trays, I tried using the information you guys provided similarly, and no success.

I have attached a ZIP file with the PS I spooled in it. It causes the Fiery give me an error and did not print.
    Attached Files
    Version 1.0_SP1
    Software 10

Anyone able to help with this yet?
    Version 1.0_SP1
    Software 10

Hello,

Good news!

I am 1/2 the way done. I have figured out the exact postscript code to get the printer to call trays.

I installed the Xerox 700 Color EX Server printer driver on my work-station computer. Then I Printed a word document to that printer, but selected "Print to File." I also changed the printing properties for the file, on media color I selected White. I named the file "White.ps" I repeated this again and selected Blue for a second postscript file, and named it "Blue.ps"

Using a Text Editor, I opened white.ps and searched for "White" and the result was:
    Code:
    %%BeginFeature: *EFMediaColor White

userdict /XJXEFIsetpageproperties known
    {  << /XJXSetMediaColor [ 1 ] >> XJXEFIsetpageproperties  }
    {  userdict /XJXSetMediaColor known
    { 1 XJXSetMediaColor } if
    } ifelse 
    %%EndFeature
    I searched Blue.ps in the text editor for "Blue" and got:
    Code:
    %%BeginFeature: *EFMediaColor Blue

{  << /XJXSetMediaColor [ 5 ] >> XJXEFIsetpageproperties  }
    {  userdict /XJXSetMediaColor known
    { 5 XJXSetMediaColor } if
    } ifelse 
    %%EndFeature
    I simply had my Postscript compiler put each block of code before each page layout (the "White" code for Page1 and "Blue" code for Page2). Then on the printer I had set tray1 to "White" paper and Tray2 to "Blue" paper (even though physically, both are white). And this worked!

I am currently trying to get the printer to staple now, using the same method above to extract the "Booklet" code and got:
    Code:
    %%BeginFeature: *EFFold CollateHalfFold
      { << /XJXSetPrinterinfo [ (EFFold) (CollateHalfFold) ] >> XJXEFIsetpageproperties } if 
    %%EndFeature
    %%BeginFeature: *EFStapler Stitch

{ << /XJXsetstapleV2 [14] >> XJXEFIsetpageproperties }

{ /XJXsetstapleV2 where { pop 14 XJXsetstapleV2 } if } ifelse 
    %%EndFeature
    Only problem is that this causes the printer to attempt to staple the whole file. The test file I am doing is 10 simplex 11x17 pages and is supposed to staple every 2 pages, not all 10 pages together. I tried both putting that code before or after the page layouts.

I also tried what I thought would be an "OFF" for this:
    Code:
    %%BeginFeature: *EFFold False
    %%EndFeature
    %%BeginFeature: *EFStapler false
    %%EndFeature
    at the end of my page layout, but it still staples the whole job together.
    Last edited by KAB1234; 10-02-2012 at 03:08 PM.
    Version 1.0_SP1
    Software 10

Hello,

I am bumping this thread up, as the urgency of the staple on demand is becoming greater. I am receiving more client requests for variable page stapling.

I am also working on a job that has a set amount of pages per piece, but the only work around I have is to create one postscript file per booklet. The problem with this is that the job is approximately 70,000 booklets. Each booklet takes about 13 second to spool, and are about 70MB in file size, each. With this work around I have estimate about 11 days of spooling and nearly 5 Terabytes of storage space required.

That is not good.

If I can create one single PS file on the fly with the PS-code to tell the printer when to and not to fold/staple, than it would greatly reduce both spool time and storage space.

So far I have not gotten any useful response from Xerox Customer support, they keep telling me to ask here. And yet here, I am not getting anything useful either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
    Version 1.0_SP1
    Software 10

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast