+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Canon GX-300 V2 OS X driver crashing Powerpoint/Word on print.

Default Canon GX-300 V2 OS X driver crashing Powerpoint/Word on print.

OS X 10.5.8 and 10.6.8
    Office 2004 and 2008, Powerpoint and Word
    No reported issues with 10.8 and Office 2011, no 10.7 installs.

Yes, these are old versions but these Macs are unlikely to get upgraded. Apart from the nuke-the-site-from-orbit option of a complete wipe, have tried all combinations of EFI removal tool, manual pref removal, driver reinstall, program pref removal and (on one) Office reinstallion.

The Macs have a bit of a think just after the print button is pressed and then Powerpoint/Word crashes. Problem appears intermittent but that may be down to user reporting - it's very likely that it is happening the majority of the time and they're just not telling me.

Anyone else seen the problem? EFI - don't suppose there's another version of the driver coming?

Default CUPS Error Log

If you were to check the CUPS error log, which you can do via the Console app, does it show the cause of the Office crash as being related to the EFI driver, such as fierycupsfilter?

Yes, I encountered this issue this week while testing another issue with new EFI 10.8 print drivers on 2 different 10.6.8 Macs.
    I spent quite a bit of time trying to isolate the cause, twice thinking I had found it. But problem re-appeared again. Very frustrating...

I still need to work more on this, but but feeling is that it is related to new 10.8 drivers. because issue never happened to me with earlier version print drivers.

What driver(s) are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott_W View Post
    What driver(s) are you using?
    Firstly: AAAAARGH! BLOODY FORUM TIMEOUTS!!!!!! Had a nicely formatted, lucid reply... "Preview Post"... login. Anyway, I'll have to do the short version from memory...

Driver: Canon_IPSGX300_v2_0R_FD44v4_OSX.dmg 7/24/2012 12:00:00 AM

Yes, the problem always looks like it's gone away and then it comes back. It looks intermittent but it's not - it will reliably come back at some point. All Office products, I'm afraid. Have had users report crashes with Excel now as well. (Also some in Acrobat 9 but I cannot be sure that they're happening under similar circumstances.)
    Can't see any pattern - always used to be high complexity, fonts or custom paper sizes that threw things out.

CanonTSOz:
    Nothing in the CUPS logs about failures and nothing obvious in any other log at the time of failure.

Paul

After you go to File -> Print or do Command-P to print and you see the 10.6 print dialog window, see if waiting 5 seconds before clicking on the "Print" button eliminates the application crashing.

+ Reply to Thread