Thread: Can Upgrade to CWS change Fiery Defaults?

Default Can Upgrade to CWS change Fiery Defaults?

All of a sudden our Xerox 700 has defaulted to black and white and face up printing instead of colour and face down. No one altered any settings but we did update to CWS5.4. Question is can running update make changes in the fiery?

Hi,
    Is this the EX700 system 8r2 or EX700i system 10?
    Thanks, Craig

Hi Craig

It is the EX700 system 8r2. Also I have noticed since upgrading that CWS appears to be using a lot of resources in the background whilst running. The CPU runs at about 15% with the only process running being CWS.

Hi Michael

CWS 5.4 should not be installed directly on the Fiery.
    The latest supported Version is 5.3
    CWS 5.4 can be installed on a Client MAC or PC.

In particular note that both CWS 5.3 and CWS 5.4 are available as downloads on the web site. Please carefully review the table below for which CWS version will run on which Fiery System as well as client vs. server.

Fiery System Which version of CW5

System 9 and 10 (client or server) CWS5.4
    System 8 r2 through a client application CWS5.4
    System 8 r2 directly on the Fiery Server CWS5.3
    System 6, 7, 8 (client or server) CWS5.3

adam1991 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful

To be fair, EFI's site says:

"NOTE: If you are installing directly on a Fiery System 6, 7, 8 or 8 R2 server, Command WorkStation 5.4 with Fiery Extended Applications 4 will not install. You will only be able to install these additional applications on a client workstation, or on a Fiery server running System 9 or later."

I assume that if he tried to install 5.4 on a Fiery system 8R2, the installer would have stopped him.

If he did install 5.4 on his Fiery server, it must be 9 or above because it let him.

Either that, or the installer is broken and not behaving as documented.

I have installed 5.4 on a client workstation running XP Pro SP3.

The defaults issue has been resolved, not sure how my defaults changed but they have been reset to original settings.

I still have the ongoing issue of CWS using heaps of CPU power (up to 22%) when doing nothing but running in the background. This is only happening on one client.

The program is also doing strange things like not allowing me to move a print job from archive to held.

Do you think a remove then reinstal should would be in order here?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Michael