Thread: Unable to achieve target densities when calibrating (using ES-1000)

Default Unable to achieve target densities when calibrating (using ES-1000)

Hi - I have two new printers (both identical), and I have been trying to calibrate them with an ES-1000. Unfortunately, neither one can achieve the target densities (shown below) when checking measurements. I also notice that the colors are not really solid (especially K and M).

Should I be able to reach the target numbers? If not, doesn't this make the profile null and void?

Name:  dmax.jpg
Views: 858
Size:  43.1 KB

Default RE: Default Unable to achieve target densities when calibrating (using ES-1000)

Well, the profile is "null and void" but the bigger problem is you are getting densities much lower than expected. This could be due to the paper. What kind of paper are you using? What's the print engine and Fiery model?

If you are using a recommended paper then you may need to get the print engine serviced.

~Lou

Thanks for the reply, Lou! Yep, I know it's a problem, to say the least with brand new machines. The paper I've been using is 28lb Hammermill Color Copy Digital. Printers are Ricoh Aficio MP C3502s with E-3300 RIPs. The service engineers have tried for some time to get the densities up and they have not been able to.

I just need someone else to confirm that the Dmax numbers should not be this low on a new machine. The company we bought them from is now telling me that low Dmax numbers are normal.

Default RE: Unable to achieve target densities when calibrating (using ES-1000)

How many warmup sheets are you running? When calibrating always print multplie sheets to warm up, at least 10. A best practice you should try at least once is to run 30-50 sheets with heavy CMYK coverage then get your 10 calibration sheets to print immediately after and measure the 10th one.

~Lou