Thread: Job Properties Explanation

Default Job Properties Explanation

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone can help explain what the different settings in job properties do and when they should be used. More specifically, I am trying to figure out what the settings for "Image Smoothing" and "Text/Graphics Smoothing" actually do and when I should have these options enabled.

I searched the web but was unable to find a document describing these settings. I searched through the forums and I did find one post relating to this question however it is pretty old and doesn't really have any specific answers which is why I decided to post this up as a new thread (old post: http://fieryforums.efi.com/showthrea...job+properties).

We are running Command Workstation 5.3 and our RIP is an EFI Fiery System 8r2 version 2.0.

Default Image Smoothing

Hi,

Image Smoothing prevents low-resolution images from appearing "jaggy" or "blocky" when printed. This often happens when printing files with images meant for the Internet. The Image Smoothing function only affects Images and can be applied to any file type.

Please do post back if you have any further queries.

Quote Originally Posted by Swarna Avinash View Post
    Hi,

Image Smoothing prevents low-resolution images from appearing "jaggy" or "blocky" when printed. This often happens when printing files with images meant for the Internet. The Image Smoothing function only affects Images and can be applied to any file type.

Please do post back if you have any further queries.
    Swarna,

Thank you very much for your reply. That is a much better description of the settings than we have been able to get from either the Fiery documentation or from our equipment supplier.

We appreciate your help,

CE Printed

deckm00 is offline Senior Fiery Forum Contributor deckm00 is on a distinguished path

Default from manual

from the Fiery Printing manual;

"Select On to minimize pixilation when printing low-resolution images."

Quote Originally Posted by deckm00 View Post
    from the Fiery Printing manual;

"Select On to minimize pixilation when printing low-resolution images."
    Interesting, I did not see that part of the documentation. Do you happen to have a link to an electronic version?

deckm00 is offline Senior Fiery Forum Contributor deckm00 is on a distinguished path

Default Manuals

You should have received two documentation disks with your printer, one for the printer and one for the Fiery. I find that they typically end up mixed in with other stuff behind the machine or on a shelf.

The printer documentation is easy enough to get from downloads page at www.ricoh-usa.com. The Fiery is more problematic so if you have an email or better yet an ftp site send me a private message and I'd be happy to forward you everything.

you could also contact your Ricoh rep and ask to be put in touch with your local Solutions Engineer, aka PPSE.

Kdw75 is offline Senior Fiery Forum Contributor Kdw75 is on a distinguished path

I will have to look for our documentation disk as well. Seems like this needs to be posted somewhere on the website. Maybe upload it to some free site so others who don't have their disk can benefit.