Thread: Upgrade from CWS4 to CWS5 gives demo mode on Balance server

Default Upgrade from CWS4 to CWS5 gives demo mode on Balance server

Hi,

I upgraded the CWS from version 4 to version 5 on our balance server, but ending up to have demo mode only. Also tried with updating Acrobat 6 to Acrobat 9 and the HASP driver but still only demo mode.

Any solutions to this problem?

Regards,

Richard

Hi Richard,

It sounds like you have the older EFI Balance software. CWS 5 is not supported with EFI Balance. There are two possible solutions. One is to uninstall CWS 5 and reinstall the CWS 4 version that came with your Balance server. The other solution is to work with your dealer to migrate to the latest version of Fiery Central which replaced EFI Balance. The latest version of Fiery Central does support the latest CWS 5 versions.

Bob

Hello Bob,

Thanks for your quick response.
    My license says permanent, doesn't that mean I should be able to get free updates on this?

I'm not using the Balance/Colorsplit functionality any more since our machines have changed over the years. I even closed down the balance server to save system resources. I only use impose and hotfolders, so I guess it's only the dongle that is not compatible with or recognized by CWS 5.

Regards,

Richard

Hi Richard,

The fact that your license says Permanent indicates that your EFI Balance license will not expire as opposed to a demo license that would expire after a specified period. This does not indicate whether a Support and Maintenance contract is in place which could provide for updates.

Regardless, Fiery Central is a separate software package that replaces EFI Balance. It performs many of the same functions, but it would be a separate installation. There is an option to migrate from EFI Balance to Fiery Central at a reduced cost, but there is not a free upgrade path. You should be able to work with your dealer for pricing.

If you are no longer interested in using EFI Balance and just want to use the PC, you should be able to attach a SeeQuence Suite or SeeQuence Impose dongle and perform the same functions with Command WorkStation connected directly to the Fiery. The EFI Balance dongle only enables Impose when you connect Command WorkStation to the EFI Balance server.

Bob