Thread: %%[Error: undefined; Offending Command: CustomPageSize0]%% - Please help!

Default %%[Error: undefined; Offending Command: CustomPageSize0]%% - Please help!

Hi all,

I’m hoping that someone on here can help me. I’ve been to our Xerox Contact for EFI and XMPie support but I’m not getting anywhere. Xerox have concluded a limitation after trying to say it was the VPS files but they can’t confirm where the limitation is I.E. the RIP, the printer or the VPS file that XMPie creates.

XMPie support tried but couldn’t come up with anything so I’m now left hanging without a proper answer and, as of yet, none of our support that we pay dearly for can tell me what the problem is.

I’ll try and keep this as short as possible but here is the issue: -

We currently run a 20 page booklet through our Xerox DC5000AP machines using VPS files generated via XMPie onto SRA3 sheets so 10 sheets per record duplex.

For the first sheet (pages 1 &2) we instruct the Fiery to pull stock from tray 2(thicker stock cover) and the remaining pages from tray one. N.B. all the mix media selection is done via the Fiery. There’s no page/tray pull messages in the VPS files. The Fiery is simply set up to pull the first page from tray 2.

This works a treat and we’ve been doing this for as long as I can remember on SRA3. Now... My boss has asked me if we can run the exact same job but on smaller stock. In this case the stock size is 450 x 227. I did the tests and the stock runs through the machine fine with the exact same VPS files but with the obvious change in the stock size.

The error, in the title, happens the minute we introduce the Mix Media selection on the Fiery. All looks OK until you go to print. The file drops straight into the printed area without any message/error whatsoever as if it’s actually printed. The error comes up when you then right click the VPS and look at its properties. I have screen shots of all this as well ifit will help.

Without the Mixed Media selection on the job would run fine but as we need to pull stock from a different tray for the cover this won’t do. Just to iterate, we run this setup fine on SRA3. The only difference here is the stock size which does run through the printer with VPS file fine until you introduce mixed media.

I also tried PDF’s which work fine even with the Mixed Media on BUT because it’s a PDF you have to tell the Fiery how many pages are in a record. As soon as I give this info to the Fiery, we get the exact same error as we do with VPS files.

I’m no expert but I think this is a bug in the system rather than a conflict error. For the most part, if your settings conflict on the Fiery you get some good informative messages telling you what you’ve done and how to correct it. For this situation I get nothing.

I think I’m more frustrated because of the lack of knowledge from our support for whom we not only pay a lot of money for but we rely on. It became obvious to me that they didn’t have a clue what the problem was or what was causing it so they just told me it was a limitation. I’ve googled the error and turned up nothing which I suspect our Xerox support did.

This stock change for this job could save our client a lot of money so I can’t rest until I have a satisfactory answer or we may lose the client to someone who can do it.

Thank you all for any info you can give me on this. I will be forever grateful if someone could lead me to the answer.

Regards

Gary
    Last edited by GaryM; 07-24-2012 at 03:37 AM.

Hi Gary,

It is possible the issue was resolved with a patch for the Fiery. Please make sure run updates to have all the patch downloaded and installed.

If this doesn't resolve the MM problem your encountering, let me know.

Nanny

Thanks for your reply Nanny,

We've got two Fiery RIPS running two DC5000's. Both Fiery's have recently been re-installed to accommodate AP on the printers so I'd like to assume that any Patches were also installed.

How would I check this. Please bare with me on this one because I've had nothing to do with the software installation. Is it just like any other windows program update? Would I be able to tell if I'm up to date via the version numbers in help. I'll go and make a note of them.

I did think of this earlier on but dismissed it because I would have thought that if there was a patch to fix the problem then someone within our support team would have know or at least heard of the error.

Cheers Nanny

Gary

thistlegorm is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status

Hi Gary,

The easiest way to check on patches is to go into the Device Centre Tab -> Server Configuration - > System Updates.. In CWS 5..

That said - I don't recognise the behaviour you describe below:

Xerox have concluded a limitation after trying to say it was the VPS files but they canít confirm where the limitation is I.E. the RIP, the printer or the VPS file that XMPie creates
    If you have a FSMA ? - did you have visit from a Post Sales Analyst ?? has there been any escalation ? if you have a log number can you forward on in a PM
    Remember you are what you eat ! I'm a twix..

Thanks for your reply thistlegorm,
    We're currently using CW4 and all updates appear to be in place. You ask if we have FSMA? Not sure what an FSMA is?

We bought this system including Printers (dc5000 ap's), RIPS and XMPie over two years ago so our sales reps are either long gone or just point us in the direction of our support.

I think I need to call our suport again and insist on an answer in writing because thus far I seem to have nothing but someones opinion of what the problem might be. I've not spoken to one person that can tell me what the error '%%[Error: undefined; Offending Command: CustomPageSize0]%%' actually means. I've worked with postscript for a good few years so I recognize it as a PS error but why is this not documented anywhere.. in the world.. not even google. lol.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Many thanks again.

Gary

Did you try to override the Page Alignment option in the in the layout tab of the job properties? I just have a german CWS 5 but you can find the option from the image.

This helped us with the same error when printing FreeForm jobs.
    Name:  Unbenannt.JPG
Views: 1161
Size:  3.1 KB