+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Paper Catalog

adam1991 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful

> 2x Xerox Color1000's (V2.1) Powered by Fiery CWS5 V10

I'm going to jump on a bandwagon here.

CWS5 "powers" nothing. The Fiery RIP is a black box that you can't see. The Fiery RIP has features built into it, specific to that Fiery RIP.

Your Fiery RIP is at Fiery System 10, but do be aware that that's just a starting point. Each vendor implements a different set of Fiery features, chosen from a Chinese menu of things that EFI offers. Don't be fooled into thinking that just because a Fiery is at EFI System 10 level that it has any given feature. (The same goes for System 9, etc.) Further, any vendor can choose to make different feature sets available to different systems, even though both Fierys use System 10 as the foundation.

Back to CWS5. Fiery Command Workstation is a window into what the Fiery RIP is doing, and it allows you to control those features on a job by job basis. CWS5 isn't the power behind the workflow. It simply lets you tap into the power.

If you have multiple Fierys in your shop, of different levels, you'll notice that Command Workstation gives you access only to the features available to the Fiery itself. If you see a feature in CWS on one system, you may or may not see the same feature when working on another system--even though you're using the very same installation of CWS. The individual Fiery controls what features you have, and CWS simply presents the features to the end user.

Command Workstation and Fiery system software are two distinct things, in general unrelated to one another.

And when you run CWS on a Fiery system itself, that's exactly--*exactly*--the same as running CWS on a remote computer. The Fiery system itself has no user interface, and requires a Windows or Macintosh computer on which to run the interface. That the interface may be running on the same Windows box that's also running the Fiery software, is incidental. Compare and contrast that to other systems--say, the Xerox FreeFlow Print Server or a Creo system--where the user interface is integral to and inseparable from the RIP software itself.

/soapbox

So a comma is all I need.

2x Xerox Color1000's (V2.1) Powered by Fiery V10, CWS5

Thanks

It clearly says "Powered by Fiery on the box itself and we have CWS5.
    Last edited by ChrisWilsh; 01-08-2013 at 01:53 PM.
    2x Xerox Color1000's (V2.1) Powered by Fiery V10, CWS5.

thistlegorm is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status

Hi Chris -

I think the original thread has digressed a little - perhaps if I explain a little how the Paper Catalog works on the XC1000 you'll see my train of thought..

As you know you have a PCUI that sits on top of the Engine, all Paper Stocks are handled through this - the Fiery "talks" via it's LAN port ( not LAN port 2 ) normally via 100.100.100.102 ( I think - might be 103 been a long day ). Anyway this is where the Fiery paper catalog picks up its info - hence the engine handshakes - you'll note when you first power on the IOT & Fiery it takes a little while before the stocks appear against their respective trays ?

So any Paper Catalog sorting is done on the PCUI not the Fiery - but it isn't quite as simple as it seems - as when you add a new entry it is assigned a "key" - to prove my theory since you have two machines - forward a job with paper catalog setting on one device & forward to the other device & then open the properties on the other device & media - it will say "No Stock Selected" because the stock on the other device does not have the same key as the previous device's stock..

It is possible to edit the Stockid file on the pcui -
    Stocks ideally would be listed by Size then weight e.g

A4 100
    A4 200
    A3 80
    A3 100
    SRA3 350
    One of the guys I work with has successfully done this & it works very well - also you will find that Paper Catolog on the PCUI is vastly improved when the upgrade is done - however the reason why they are not ordered alphabetically is because of this "key" issue - it isn't a Specific Fiery issue..

Adam,

I assume bandwagon wasn't html...? it didn't start with <bandwagon> but nearly finished with </bandwagon>
    Last edited by thistlegorm; 01-08-2013 at 02:16 PM.
    Remember you are what you eat ! I'm a twix..

adam1991 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisWilsh View Post
    So a comma is all I need.

2x Xerox Color1000's (V2.1) Powered by Fiery V10, CWS5

Thanks

It clearly says "Powered by Fiery on the box itself and we have CWS5.
    Well, strictly speaking it wasn't you I was responding to. I see a lot of talk in this forum that revolves around the thought that CWS5 is the tool doing the work. It's not, that's all.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2