Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: EFI Fiery & VDP Issue

Default EFI Fiery & VDP Issue

Hi All

I have a challenge that I can’t seem to crack my self and need some help as soon as possible.
    our customer has a Workcentre 7535 with a EFI Fiery controller.

The process is:
    Take a 16 page job from word, A4.
    Print to EFI with “Create VPD Master”

Then create a 16 page word file (blank pages) and make a “MergeCell” for addresses.
    This merge cell is placed on the 16th page and fits with the area on page 16 of the master (105 addresses = 1680 pages)

The ”mergejob” is printed through EFI Fiery driver with ”use master”
    And sent to “process hold”

Next step is through Command Workstation.
    Here I go to “hold queue”
    Rightclick job, remove raster
    Rightclick job, select “impose” (Customer HAS impose dongle feature)

Imposition template is setup to; Booklet, Saddle, left binding, A4SEF, scale to fit
    Job is saved
    Process hold

Rightclick job
    Go into finishing and select “Bifold” & “Saddle Stitch”

All the above works PERFECTLY. Now to the problem:
    When taking this job and printing “Records 1-2” it takes 8 sheets (32 pages) and staple them together. It should make 2 x booklets consisting of each 2 sheets with 4up (saddle/Booklet).

If I instead try and print entire document (1680 pages/ 840 Impressions / 320 sheets) it creates the VPD job as 1 single job.
    It simply forgets to separate the different records. Also if I look in Preview through CWS it looks like one big job.

Any and all input is MOST welcome..

Hi,
    I'm not sure if this will help, but have you tried going into Configure/PDL/VDP and changing it from it's default "FreeForm Master" to "Job'?
    Thanks, Craig

Hi Anders,

I am not sure that I fully understand the problem, having not worked on it, but if it sees it as one job, you need to define the record length for the job. I guess that would be 16.

Also please check the default Freeform settings in Fiery configure, as it may have the wrong setting.

l-

edit: Craig was too fast for me on this one :-)
    Last edited by Laurent_H; 12-07-2012 at 07:59 AM.

adam1991 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful

The system is operating as designed.

YOU know that it's a bunch of books that you want finished separately, but pure VDP processing doesn't know that. You have to tell the system in some way. For modern FreeForm, it's a matter of defining the pages per record in the VDP tab of the job ticket (if such a thing exists on your particular Fiery).

Absent that, you can let it print flat pages and pull the sets out and finish them offline.

Production level Fiery processors have other tools with other capabilities to help with this.

The concept you're looking at here is called "subset finishing". The entire VDP print run is a single set of printed pages with respect to finishing. You need some mechanism to tell the Fiery to trigger the finisher every X number of pages (or, in more complicated VI workflows where the booklets could vary in length, you need to output a dedicated VI stream such as VPS which has internal support for triggering the finishing).

Quote Originally Posted by Craig M View Post
    Hi,
    I'm not sure if this will help, but have you tried going into Configure/PDL/VDP and changing it from it's default "FreeForm Master" to "Job'?
    Thanks, Craig
    Hi Craig ... can you elaborate on what this setting is supposed to do?

Hi Craig (edit) ... think i figured this out myself...
    a 16 page word becomming VPD Master
    when merged with a 1680 word file the "VDP Master" increases from 16 to 1680 and because of this it tries to finish entire job

but if the configure is changed from VDP master to job .. it should be able to booklet finish each job.
    I'm trying on the customers setup at the time of writing...
    Last edited by Anders Juul Jensen; 12-10-2012 at 02:58 AM. Reason: Add. Info:

Quote Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
    The system is operating as designed.

YOU know that it's a bunch of books that you want finished separately, but pure VDP processing doesn't know that. You have to tell the system in some way. For modern FreeForm, it's a matter of defining the pages per record in the VDP tab of the job ticket (if such a thing exists on your particular Fiery).

Absent that, you can let it print flat pages and pull the sets out and finish them offline.

Production level Fiery processors have other tools with other capabilities to help with this.

The concept you're looking at here is called "subset finishing". The entire VDP print run is a single set of printed pages with respect to finishing. You need some mechanism to tell the Fiery to trigger the finisher every X number of pages (or, in more complicated VI workflows where the booklets could vary in length, you need to output a dedicated VI stream such as VPS which has internal support for triggering the finishing).
    You are talking about production level fiery processors with "other Tools" ...
    I would like that you elaborated abit on this... What Tool are you talking about?

because what I do on a DCP770i is the EXACT same as I do on a Workcentre 75xx with EFI (one is ex770 and the other is fiery bustled). Both have Fiery Imposition dongle and it is the same procedure i'm using...
    Last edited by Anders Juul Jensen; 12-10-2012 at 01:53 AM.

one other thing ...

if I go into VDP and want to set "use mater" AND define "VDP Record lenght i get a conflict saying this is not possible and the "fix" are to DISABLE use master...

if I instead try "create master" and "Define job record lenght" its same result...

so the "Define record lenght" are just in the printer driver for fun?

I did try and set the "Configure DFE" from Master freeform to job but no matter ... it has NO influence AT all ...

sorry for being such a pain in the butt ... if EFI says this isn't possible I will accept this... but for now I've escalated this to Xerox 2nd lvl in the hope it is a bug...

Define Record Lenght is not possible when using VDP ... should it be?
    If I impose the job I can (in preview) define records, sets and sheets and this shows everything correct
    if I go to "job info" i have printrage - all, even, odd, sheets & records ...

and if I choose to print "record" = 1 I get 1 perfect folder as I want it ...
    if I choose record 2 I get the next booklet...
    But if I print "all" it can't seperate the records...

In my opinion this is a bug and I'd love to get someone to investigate this further ...

case has been escalated through xerox system and accepted by EFI ... at least I got a "EFI Casenumber" ...

now it will be interessting to see if a patch will be released or I will be rejected...
    awaiting in excitement

:-)

adam1991 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Anders Juul Jensen View Post
    sorry for being such a pain in the butt ... if EFI says this isn't possible I will accept this... but for now I've escalated this to Xerox 2nd lvl in the hope it is a bug...

Define Record Lenght is not possible when using VDP ... should it be?
    If I impose the job I can (in preview) define records, sets and sheets and this shows everything correct
    if I go to "job info" i have printrage - all, even, odd, sheets & records ...

and if I choose to print "record" = 1 I get 1 perfect folder as I want it ...
    if I choose record 2 I get the next booklet...
    But if I print "all" it can't seperate the records...

In my opinion this is a bug and I'd love to get someone to investigate this further ...
    Hope it's a bug, but your 770 is a production level device--the Workcentre is not. I would not *expect* the Workcentre-level product to do this; at the very least, I would look carefully at the Workcenter-level product's documentation and marketing materials, as well as any Customer Expectation Document it has.

Were you promised this feature on the 75xx, or did you simply assume it would work the same as on your 770?

Each product from each vendor is different with different capabilities; just because "it's a Fiery" doesn't mean it does something another Fiery does.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast