Thread: RE: Xerox Bustled 242/252/260 questions

JasonB is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor JasonB is on a distinguished path

Default RE: Xerox Bustled 242/252/260 questions

I have a bustled 242/252/260 controller that I am trying to update with all of the patches. Is it possible to connect to do automated updates with this unit? Also, I am trying to do this while the controller is disconnected from the copier and it continuesly shuts down in a couple of minutes after being booted up, and I cannot connect to it through Command Workstation or Fiery WebTools, but can occasionally ping it before it shuts down. Is this normal for this model X3eTY while being physically disconnected from the DC copier? Also, I heard somewhere that this unit requires some sort of release code or patch to be connected to a DC260 -- is this true? I'm used to the EX260, IC-305, and IC-409 being accessed by "Remote Desktop Connection" and doing all the updates in bulk, so this Linux based bustled unit is throwing me a bit of a curveball. Do I have to update this unit uploading manually each update one by one due to the Linux OS?

Whomever can help me with some of these questions, it is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

thistlegorm is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status

In Lieu of any answers -

I am pretty certain you cannot RDP into a bustled ( 260 ) RIP - I think this more a limitation of XPe than EFI ? normally when in configure there is normally a tick box for you to enable RDP if the Box supports it. Again you normally see this on the External RIP's because they generally tend to have FACI kits attached to them ( not always - I know ) so they have keyboards & monitors..

Even if Auto update where possible - again I am not so sure it would help you ? there are around 59 patches to load - if you remove the print drivers & CWS updates etc you are left with around 50 - the vast majority of which require exclusive install & as you have found yes you do need to have the controller connected to the printer - because as you will find it will require a reboot & the subsequent kick out of the start up page before you know that it has taken the patch..

I know it isn't what you want to hear - but if you want to do a thorough job - it will take you hours ( I think I managed 5 hours end to end ) & 50 odd Start up sheets...
    Remember you are what you eat ! I'm a twix..

Default For Newer Fierys, we have made improvements

All,

Of course... the longer a product is in the field, the more patches will be available. We recognize that as these patches accumulate, it leads to a long install time and a bad customer experience. We needed to rethink our patch distribution strategy.

For newer Xerox Fiery products, EFI / Xerox adapted a smarter model, where a number of patches are consolidated into a quarterly service pack. This limits the number of individual patches needed to be installed, decreasing the time necessary to ensure your Fiery is current with the latest available patch configuration. The service packs also include an "uninstall" feature, if for some reason you wish to roll pack to a previous patch configuration. You will see service packs available on many new Fiery controllers for Xerox, specifically the Xerox 700 and Xerox 550/560.

Jason, I realize this does not help your situation. But I wanted you to be aware we are conscious of the problem outlined by Thistle. We have implemented changes in more recent Fiery products, to improve our patch distribution strategy.

Best Regards,

Gary Smith
    Director, Fiery Technical Support

thistlegorm is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status

Hi Gary,

Eloquently put as always - one of the biggest issues with any patch - with any vendor - is the ability to back it off should it prove to "defix" something without reloading the entire RIP - I can say that on the products you have mentioned the uninstall.ps works really well - unless another patch was loaded which isn't a Service Pack..? then it don't...

But going in the right direction...
    Remember you are what you eat ! I'm a twix..

JasonB is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor JasonB is on a distinguished path

Default Will this X3eTY v2.0 unit drive a DC260 or does it need an upgrade kit?

Thank you Gary for the detailed update on how newer bustled Fiery units are handled and the answer, although not what I wanted to hear, to my main question on updates. However, is this rumor on the DC260 true? Will I need something additional for this unit to operate a DC260 properly? Please let me know. PS: It came off of a DC242 and I gave it a fresh reload of SS v2.0 w- no updates yet. Thanks in Advance!

Hi JasonB,
    Yes, an enablement dongle is required in order to enable the DC242/252 Fiery to connect to a DC260. The unit will not function properly unless the feature activation key is installed. The Xerox part number for the feature activation kit is 498N00892 and should be ordered through your Xerox representative.

As for system updates on this product, Check for Product updates was not available in WebTools initially with this product - it requires a patch to be installed in order to add the feature. Additionally, a Java update that was released shortly after the launch of this Fiery caused a problem that prevents Fiery Configure from launching. There is a patch for this as well. If you go to https://liveupdate.efi.com/WebUpdate...b9EF5P1012.PPD and download and install the first 3 patches displayed on the site (PRODID, 1-U8E58, and 1-Z4E66) with a reboot after installing each patch, you will gain access to the Check for Product updates feature in WebTools and you should be able to launch Configure from within WebTools. (If you find that you still cannot launch Configure, I find that this can be corrected opening the Java Control Panel, going to the Advanced tab, disabling 'Enable the next generation Java Plugin', clicking OK, and restarting your web browser will correct the problem.) Within Configure, if you go to Server > System Update, you can enable Automatic System Updates.

Regards,
    Chad

I have done the steps you described, including using webtools to turn on automatic updates, my system shows the 3 updates I manually installed but it does not receive auto updates, I did go to windows firewall and allow outbound connections through port 443.

Server Info
    Product: DocuColor 242-252-260 PS v3017.102
    Version: 2.0
    Software: 8e Release 2
    Memory (MB): 512
    Disk Size (GB): 66.3
    Free Disk Space (GB): 65.5

Server Setup
    Server Name: DC-260-78B3C4
    Server Language: English
    Password Enabled: Yes
    Allow printing from: All users
    Use Character Set: Windows
    Enable Scan: Yes
    Default File Format: PDF
    Clear Each Scan Job: Manually
    Print Start Page: Yes
    Enable Printed Queue: Yes
    Jobs Saved in Printed Queue: 10
    Enable Cancel On Mis match: No
    Time Zone: USCentral
    Job Log Setup
    Job Log Page Size: 11x17/A3
    Secure Job Log: No
    Auto Print Job Log Every 55 Jobs: No

Network Setup
    Port Setup
    Ethernet
    Enable Ethernet: Yes
    Ethernet Address: 00:E0:81:78:B3:C4
    Ethernet Speed: Auto
    Mac Addr Filtering: No
    USB
    Enable USB Port: No
    USB Media Auto Print: Disabled
    802.1x Setup
    Enable IEEE 802.1x Authentication: No
    Protocol Setup
    Enable AppleTalk: No
    IPv4 Setup
    Ethernet Setup
    Enable Auto IP Configuration: No
    IP Address: 192.168.1.xx
    Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    Enable Gateway automatically: No
    Gateway Address: 192.168.1.1
    DNS Setup
    Get DNS setting automatically: No
    Primary DNS server IP address: 127.0.0.1
    Secondary DNS server IP address: 0.0.0.0
    Domain name
    Host name: DC-260-78B3C4
    Security Setup
    IP Filtering: No
    Port filtering: Yes
    161-162(SNMP): Enabled
    137-139(NETBIOS): Enabled
    515(LPD): Enabled
    Port9100-9103: Enabled
    EFI Ports: Enabled
    20-21(FTP): Enabled
    80(HTTP): Enabled
    631(IPP): Enabled
    427(SLP): Enabled
    PF_SMB: Enabled
    123(SNTP): Enabled
    443(SSL): Enabled
    500(ISAKMP): Enabled
    4500(IPSec): Enabled
    5353(Multicast DNS): Enabled
    IPSec Setup: No
    Enable IPv6: Yes
    IP Address(es): fe80:0000:0000:0000:02e0:81ff:fe78:b3c4/64
    Service Setup
    Enable LPD: Yes
    Default LPD queue: Print Queue
    Enable Windows Printing: Yes
    Server Name: DC-260-78B3C4
    Server Comments
    Domain or Workgroup: WORKGROUP
    Use WINS Name Server: No
    WINS IP Address: 127.0.0.1
    Scan to Windows SMB: Yes
    Enable Web Services: Yes
    Enable IPP: Yes
    Enable Port 9100: Yes
    9100 Queue: Print
    Enable Email Services: No
    Enable Scan to FTP: Yes
    Enable FTP Printing: Yes
    Require Password for Printing: No
    Timeout(sec): 30
    Default FTP queue: Hold Queue
    Use FTP Passive mode: No
    Enable SNMP: Yes
    Security Level: Medium
    Enable LDAP: No
    Enable SLP: Yes
    Enable Proxy: No
    Enable Bonjour: Yes
    Bonjour Service Name: Xerox DocuColor 242-252-260 PS
    Preferred Printing Protocol: LPD

Printer Setup
    Printer: DC250
    Publish Direct Connection: Yes
    Publish Print Queue: Yes
    Publish Hold Queue: Yes
    Published Virtual Printers
    DC250 hold
    DC250 print
    DC250 direct
    PS Setup
    Color Mode: CMYK
    Offset Mode: Off
    Face-Down Printing: Face Up
    Text/Graphics Edge Enhancement: Off
    Printer Screen Mode: 200 Rotated Line
    Allow Courier Substitution: Yes
    Print to PS Error: No
    Scale to Fit: Off
    Convert Paper Sizes: No
    Cover Page: Off
    Use PDF XObjects: OFF
    Print Master: Yes
    PCL Setup
    Append CR to LF: Yes
    Font Number: 0
    Font Source: Internal
    Form Length: 0
    Paper Size For System Pages: US
    Default Orientation: Portrait
    Font Pitch (char/in): 0.00
    Font Size (pt): 0.00
    Symbol Set: ROMAN 8
    Offset Mode: Off
    Face-Down Printing: Face Up
    Color Setup
    RGB Source Profile:: Fiery RGB v5
    Rendering Style:: Presentation
    CMYK Simulation Profile: ISO Coated
    CMYK Simulation Method: Full (Output GCR)
    RGB Separation:: Output
    Output Profile:: 6HV8-V2XZ_DocuColor 242-252-260 PS
    Black Text/Graphics:: Pure Black On
    Black Overprint:: Text/Graphics
    Spot Color Matching: On
    Print Gray using Black Only (RGB): Off
    Print Gray using Black Only (CMYK): Text/Graphics/Images
    VDP Setup
    FreeForm 1 Record Length: FreeForm Master
    Native Document Setup
    Enable Native Document Conversion: No
    Send licensing update notifications: No
    BIOS Setup
    Installed Options

Printer Installed Options
    Light Production Finisher with C/Z Fold (NA)
    Tray 6 (Oversized)

System Updates
    FIERY UPDATES
    PRODID
    1-U8E58
    1-Z4E66
    Last edited by mprints; 10-11-2012 at 09:52 AM.

Hi

remember to configure DNS otherwise the DFE simply cant resolve the URL's neccesary to "auto update".
    also be aware that autoupdates CAN cause the machine to freeze up. A simple "CWS5" Reboot server will fix this.

after you get the 50+ updates i'd recommend to turn off "auto updates" as i doubt further patches will get released...

regarding your "activation" dongle... you don't HAVE to get it.
    The dongle will enable the "Fiery hotfolders" which are standard on the DC260 but not on the DC242/252.

I'd recommend you turn on "print PS Errors". This will give you a headsup with PS-errors on the printed sheets instead of a "job cancel".

Also consider the "System pages" ... its set to US ... if your in EMEA set it to Metric
    It might also be an idear to look at the "convert pages" if you recieve various US/Metric formated documents

Edit:
    ohh and outbound 443 ain't neccesary on an "ordinary" network .... unless you SPECIFICALLY blocked it in your firewall ...
    Last edited by Anders Juul Jensen; 10-10-2012 at 07:21 AM. Reason: added info:

Thank you for the info sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Anders Juul Jensen View Post
    Hi

remember to configure DNS otherwise the DFE simply cant resolve the URL's neccesary to "auto update".
    also be aware that autoupdates CAN cause the machine to freeze up. A simple "CWS5" Reboot server will fix this.

after you get the 50+ updates i'd recommend to turn off "auto updates" as i doubt further patches will get released...

regarding your "activation" dongle... you don't HAVE to get it.
    The dongle will enable the "Fiery hotfolders" which are standard on the DC260 but not on the DC242/252.

I'd recommend you turn on "print PS Errors". This will give you a headsup with PS-errors on the printed sheets instead of a "job cancel".

Also consider the "System pages" ... its set to US ... if your in EMEA set it to Metric
    It might also be an idear to look at the "convert pages" if you recieve various US/Metric formated documents

Edit:
    ohh and outbound 443 ain't neccesary on an "ordinary" network .... unless you SPECIFICALLY blocked it in your firewall ...

Completing the DNS entry fixed it, it is applying updates now. Thank you.