+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Wishlist for future versions of Command Workstation

Default Wishlist for future versions of Command Workstation

Hi,

i did not find a wishlist thread in the forum so im asking you all.
    What are your wishes for a next version of command workstation?
    What will be time savers in your workflow?

Maybe EFI ist reading this thread an will build it into the software if possible.

My personal wishes for a next version are:

- to set the amount of copies for the job directly in the job summary field so i didn`t have to open the properties every time
    - to choose a print preference also directly in the job summary panel an rip an hold it there.
    - a better way to save and sort templates in the impose panel, like a list or something
    - to sort the job preferences in the properties field and a way to change the job preferences and not to make a new one every time i want to build in changes.
    - In Impose to shoot out broshures with no automated duplex on paper over 180gsm
    - a way that new features also work on old systems cause the is not always a possible way to bring a new system to an old printer.

So these are some of my wishes, which for me would be real time savers.
    And now I am interested in your wishes.

have a nice weekend
    drfoots

CWS 5.3.21, XEROX EFI PRO80 System 8R2, MAC OS X

Hi,
    At EFI web are definitely reading the threads on the forum so yes, they influence future development. We love seeing ideas like these!

We are considering some of these ideas now. Some of the features we can make work on existing Fierys in the field because they are changes only in the Command Workstation software; others require changes to the Fiery itself.

Can you give me some more details on what you mean by Impose automatically printing duplex jobs on > 180gsm media? If the engine can't duplex over 180 gsm, do you want Impose to be able to prepare the impose job to be manually duplexed?

Love the suggestions!

-Mike

I would also like to add to the wish list.

In previous versions of command workstation 5 (I think prior to 5.3) there was the ability to save presets and overwrite existing presets by selecting from the drop down. With the current version (we are at 5.3.1.32d) you get a text box where you have to type the Presets name exactly as previously entered if you want to overwrite it. The ability to put spaces in the name of a preset has also been eliminated.

We would like the ability to manage the presets not only locally but across multiple machines. Should the presets not be stored on the Fiery and accessible to all workstation connected to it? This last request might already exist but we are unaware of it if it does.

Thanks for being open to the feature requests.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_R View Post
    Hi,

Can you give me some more details on what you mean by Impose automatically printing duplex jobs on > 180gsm media? If the engine can't duplex over 180 gsm, do you want Impose to be able to prepare the impose job to be manually duplexed?

Love the suggestions!

-Mike
    Hello Mike,

thanks for your response. Its nice to hear that you love those wishlists.
    To your question.
    - Yes i would like to duplex it manually, like other pages. I like to see all possible duplex forms, like: off, and both duplex forms, sorry but don´t know how they are called in english.

- It would also be nice that i can make new print sheets on my own for front and backprint. Now im only able to import new pages but not print sheets.

- the page with the impose templates is a complete mess, because the pages are not sortet in any way i can understand. we have given them numbers because the lack of space to give them real names. But they are not sorted like ascending numbers or the order i have saved them or anything else i can understand or imagine.

Name:  impose_templates.png
Views: 2893
Size:  125.8 KB

Is there a possible way to change the order of the entries? like a xml file or anything else i can rewrite? where is it saved on the rip?

With searching the right template we are loosing a lot of time every day.

I am sure i can find a lot more little things which you might can change or improve in a next version, if its possible.

I also like to the things yannstlo mentioned

greetings
    drfoots

adam1991 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor adam1991 is working their way up in the world

For a long, long time--going all the way back to the beginning of Command Station, nee CWS--I've wanted to organize jobs in folders inside the interface.

Also, let's finish up details like being able to organize, rename, and export job settings/template files. Let's make them all one common thing, easily applied across the job properties and hot folders and whatnot, and maybe--just maybe--stored at the server level, so that any CWS anywhere that connects to server XYZ will automatically get these "server level" templates as well as maybe that user's own local templates.

Default Multiple Jobs with the same name

Hi
    Here a basic one that I cannot believe got thru. Why are you able to place a job with the same name in as many times as you like?? You should have a prompt that says do you want to replace the job. What a hassle it is to either delete the old one or remember to delete it after you import the same one. Then if it gets archived and maybe down the line moved back in the hold it adds another one. What a mess that creates plus I am sure a few of you out there have ran the wrong file because of this too. Thats just one of the flaws still in the current version that bugs me.

Steve0 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor Steve0 is on a distinguished path

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by tikiranch View Post
    Hi
    Here a basic one that I cannot believe got thru. Why are you able to place a job with the same name in as many times as you like?? You should have a prompt that says do you want to replace the job. What a hassle it is to either delete the old one or remember to delete it after you import the same one. Then if it gets archived and maybe down the line moved back in the hold it adds another one. What a mess that creates plus I am sure a few of you out there have ran the wrong file because of this too. Thats just one of the flaws still in the current version that bugs me.
    If there was a Facebook-like "like" button on this forum, I'd be pressing it now, for this suggestion!

Maybe a way to sort multiple iterations of the same-named job would be to time-stamp them with the last time they were sent to print (or completed printing).

Steve0 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor Steve0 is on a distinguished path

Quote Originally Posted by yannstlo View Post
    We would like the ability to manage the presets not only locally but across multiple machines. Should the presets not be stored on the Fiery and accessible to all workstation connected to it? This last request might already exist but we are unaware of it if it does.
    Server-based presets are a feature of Fiery System 10! Yay!

Default I agree with the need to organize jobs in folders.

Quote Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
    For a long, long time--going all the way back to the beginning of Command Station, nee CWS--I've wanted to organize jobs in folders inside the interface.

Also, let's finish up details like being able to organize, rename, and export job settings/template files. Let's make them all one common thing, easily applied across the job properties and hot folders and whatnot, and maybe--just maybe--stored at the server level, so that any CWS anywhere that connects to server XYZ will automatically get these "server level" templates as well as maybe that user's own local templates.
    I agree with the need to organize jobs in folders. Especially when you are using impose and or building output files from multiple input files. That way all of the project files could be put together. You could also organize specific clients jobs together for easier reprints later on. After you get over 1,000 jobs - it starts to get very cumbersome. Folders would greatly improve the ability to organize jobs.

My wish for the next update for CWS is that the Paper Catalog is also available when the program language in the preferences is set to another language then English. My native language is Dutch, but when I set CWS to use this language, the paper catalog is not selectable.

+ Reply to Thread