+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Wishlist for future versions of Command Workstation

Hi Jerry,

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Sunand View Post
    My wish for the next update for CWS is that the Paper Catalog is also available when the program language in the preferences is set to another language then English. My native language is Dutch, but when I set CWS to use this language, the paper catalog is not selectable.
    When you write that the paper catalog is not selectable in Dutch language, do you mean that it's greyed out in Device Center, or that you can't assign a media to a tray...?
    Please be more specific, or attach a screenshot so that we can investigate the issue.

Also, did you try with the new CWS 5.4?
    If it is stil the same issue with CWS5.4, please specify the Fiery model and version. It could be a defect, and we could try to reproduce it internally.

thank you
    l-

No, the Paper Catalog is greyed out in CWS. I run CWS version 5.4.0.76 on an iMac with iOS 10.8.2. When using any another application language then english the button for the Paper Catalog is greyed out. Normally, you can also select the Paper Catalog in the pull down menu under "Server", but there's no Paper Catalog selection available in this menu.

I have a screenshot from CWS (running on this iMac with the language set to "Dutch")
    so you can check it yourself that it's greyed out.

I have the same version of CWS running on the Fiery EX260 (running on Windows XP) and don't have this problem there, so it looks like it's a bug in the Mac-version.
    Name:  Schermafbeelding 2012-10-24 om 16.59.49.jpg
Views: 1715
Size:  98.5 KB

deckm00 is offline Senior Fiery Forum Contributor deckm00 is on a distinguished path

Default Timestamp Done Printing

Quote Originally Posted by Steve0 View Post
    If there was a Facebook-like "like" button on this forum, I'd be pressing it now, for this suggestion!

Maybe a way to sort multiple iterations of the same-named job would be to time-stamp them with the last time they were sent to print (or completed printing).
    Steve I know you know this but for the benefit of those who don't, in the printed jobs list if you right-click on a column you can add "Timestamp Done Printing" and sort the jobs ascending or descending in the order of when they were last printed. Very helpful when you're looking for the job that " I think I printed last Tuesday around 3pm"!

Default Single slip sheet when printing jobs uncollated

Would be nice to print a book uncollated and end up with a single slip sheet between each different page. Currently when we do it if the quantity is 50 books, we get 50 slip sheets between each printed sheet so it doesn't work well. We use our collators for many items at our shop here (usually because of scored or preprinted covers or other various finishing requirements) and not being able to do this can make things difficult. Easily done on our CREO, so we know it's possible.

Basic idea is to end up with 50 copies of sheet 1, 1 slip sheet, 50 copies sheet 2, 1 slip sheet, etc. Have been told by our Ricoh service tech that it isn't possible currently.

adam1991 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful

Yes, that's quite doable.

thistlegorm is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status thistlegorm has achieved rock star status

What about a customer configuration backup that migrates across future releases of CWS 5 - irrespective of "software improvements / increased functionality"
    Remember you are what you eat ! I'm a twix..

Default Demo mode

I have a request. We have a few designers who all share one dongle for Command workstation. The only problem is that it is easy to forget who's computer it is in and end up with 'Demo' written across a printed job.

Would it be possible to have something visual that shows if the dongle is inserted on screen? A red "demo" would be great!

adam1991 is offline Fiery Forum Expert Contributor adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful adam1991 has proven very helpful

May I make a suggestion?

Install CWS5 and the dongle on a single workstation by itself, with no user assigned to it, and use Remote Desktop to remote in and do all the work.

The dongle would stay where it is. When someone needs to do Impose work, he remotes in (screen sharing) to that workstation and takes care of it. When he's finished, he closes the screen sharing session. Then it's available for anyone else to remote in and do the same.

You would have the same basic functionality--only one person at a time would have access to Impose--but you'd never have to wonder where the dongle is, and you'd always know that when you did an imposition it would print out without Demo on it.

If you have an external Fiery, just use that as your Impose workstation with screen sharing access. I do that all the time. There's an added benefit to using your external Fiery this way: because Impose requires pulling the file out of the Fiery and into the Impose application, doing this on the Fiery itself means the file stays on the Fiery. By comparison, if you use Impose on a remote workstation the file has to come out of the Fiery, travel over the network to your workstation, be worked on, then sent back over the network back to the Fiery. (That's what your current workflow is.) If your file is large, that's takes a bunch of time. If the file stays on the Fiery and doesn't have to travel across the network, you get much better response using the Impose application that way.

Hi Adam,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Using a Remote Desktop does sound like the best solution. Especially with the transfer of files back and forth over the network. I'm not sure how our print operator will like his mouse suddenly moving about with out his control but I will try and convince him!

Default Remote Desktop idea

Adam1991 is correct, this would be a way to ensure the Impose dongle is always being used.

However CDPPrint - your operator will not see the mouse move about without his control, instead he will be logged out of his session when someone else logs in.

If you prefer the mouse moving about via remote control (while operator still logged in) then you can do this using VNC server on the Fiery, and VNC viewer on the remote client.

G.

+ Reply to Thread